Hybrid View

I wanted to tell you guys what followed. I decided to restart my plan from scratch and re-doing everything. It was not nearly as painfull as I thought it would be.

Although it had taken me (a newbie) 2 days to get to the point where I realized my mistake in not starting with the "Default style", it only took 2 hours to create the new plan. Here is how I did it...

First, in my existing plan, I added to most of the rooms I had created internal dimensions ("Dimensions Tool" icon on tool bar, then "Internal Dimensions", then use the tool). Make sure you move/select your dimension lines so they show clearly (as your printout will be small.). Then I made sure the external dimensioning was turned on ("Dimensions Tool" - "Auto Exterior Dimensions"). Finally I printed my existing plan ("File" - "Print" - "Print" - "Fit to paper - 100%" - OK). The result was small, but readable.

Next I created a new, blank "Default style" plan. Before I added anything, I set up all the defaults I wanted ("Edit" - "Default settings" - "Arrow" etc). For many items I just selected whatever I thought the majority of my house had, knowing that in certain areas the defaults wouldn't work.

Next, using the printout from my old plan as a visual guide, I re-entered the walls of my house. As I did this, I re-created dimensions using the Dimension Tools (interior and auto-exterior options specifically), which helped me re-place the walls. It all worked much quicker than I'd hoped.

Having the walls redone, I moved onto the details. To place the doors, windows, cabinets, etc., I simply copied each item from the old plan to the new. Specifically, with the new plan open, I opened the old plan; then I starting at the front door and, moving clockwise, I selected each object on the old plan, used control-c to copy it to the clipboard, then selected the new plan and used control-v to paste it into the new plan (usually I'd then have to slightly adjust it's position).

For 1 story (1500 sq ft building) it took less than 2 hours. Well worth the effort.