Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Backlighting"

"Backlighting"

In what type of scenario would one use a backlight?

The ones in the library are so long, I was just wondering where it could possible be placed for its best effect.
    Home Designer Pro 10

What about if you framed out a stained glass picture that hung on the wall? Just guessing? I'd have to think more about it.

Dee, thanks again for your help. I kept going back through your post to copy you, it wasn't easy, but was nice to have ya there.
    Gail Devine
    MD Design
    mddesignhomes.com
    Home Designer Pro 7.08

Backlighting is usually used for plants. Also called "uplighting". I don't see a need for the ones provided by HD. But, I'll think of something!
    HD ARCH 10

I was so curious I couldn't sleep, got my lap top out by the fire and started playing with the back light in a dressing room I'm working on (different home). This is you're to die for but can never afford luxuries. Glass displays for 120 pairs of shoes, purses and hats, the works. Charging station/hair dryer/curling iron built into the dressing table. I must be able to light floor to ceiling on the display areas (never doing this, not sure of correct approach), if I was able to adjust the length and width of the back light, it seemed it would be an alternative, but without being able to do that it would now appear to be something I would use in dark hallways going into a theater or maybe downstairs in the basement where we will a have wine cellar, sort of feels caved in because of the barrel witgh colume entry and a stone weeping wall. Also that area will havae a bar entertainig area.

Oh well, I will keep it in mind and let you know my thoughts.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dressing_room.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	4073
    Gail Devine
    MD Design
    mddesignhomes.com
    Home Designer Pro 7.08

Very nice Gail. I imagine that's the way Amelda Marcos' (EX-first lady of the Phillipenes) shoe closet must have looked like.

Back lighting is also used to accent lighted panels, IOW, stained or leaded glass in a (non usable) window with back light inside to light it.
    It is also used in lighting coves (like hollow soffits) to accent a ceiling cove or tray. Under a bar over hang, and in some cases under over head cabinets to act as a continuous down light. Of course, rope lights, and led lighting is much better for all that now.

I haven't tried doing anything with the ones we have in our library, didn't appear to be able to manipulate them much. Noticed when I opened the largest one, the auto placement height is like 44" above the floor. I did a little experiment, couldn't get the light just like I wanted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Back light.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	4085  
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7
    Picture Painter Home & Landscape

Nashville-TN

“ The nicest thing about the future is that it always starts tomorrow”

Thanks everyone, your comments clarify the utilization process.

And, Gail, you are a doggone good interior designer. Please keep on sharing your talents (specially since you and hubby are in the business) and your renditions will help those of us who aspire to be professionals.
    Home Designer Pro 10

Thanks Dee, but really I am not a designer. That closet was my first project and I had no idea what would come out when I started it. The true credit goes to my husband for giving me the boxes to work with. Maybe one day I will be able to call myself a designer, but I have no credits or past experience I can claim. Really, ask me some thing related to medical terminology and you will know where my knowledge truelly lies. I'm a medical compliance auditor changing careers mid life. and have no idea where that will lead.
    Gail Devine
    MD Design
    mddesignhomes.com
    Home Designer Pro 7.08

Boy you could have fooled me. Your work is a few steps higher on the ladder of achievement than mine.

Medical Compliance -- sounds like a policeman of making sure that doctors and nurses behave themselves and that they dot all the "i"s.
    Home Designer Pro 10

Yep! Doctors, nurses as well as insurance companies. Goverment has set rules that must be followed, if a company broke the rules and the government fined them, it usually meant bringing in a compliance auditor to be a watch dog and report back to our goverment. Horrible, horrible job, and hard to make friends. I like working with my husband better, and rather then having people mad at me, I have them saying things like "God I love you".

So, this is my breakout, and I like the feedback I'm getting. Should probably take some classes when I have free time, but currently we have two clients who want my 3d, and one new client (hasn't signed contract yet) who wants that closet for his wife.

What do people charge for these types of services? I don't even know how to price this out yet.
    Gail Devine
    MD Design
    mddesignhomes.com
    Home Designer Pro 7.08

Try the Labor Bureau... something to that effect..... and check out what new employees are getting.

Don't nickle and dime yourself to death ..... no ten dollars an hour ...... but definately consider 65 - 75 dollars an hour for an easy task ..... 125-150 for more complexity .... and anything in between for the middling job.
    Home Designer Pro 10

Hey Gail,

You might also send as PM to Kathleen user name dr0591.

I thought you were asking about a "Black light"..
    Must be a flashback thing..
    Allen Colburn Jr.

Chief Architect XII
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Suite 8

Drafting for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

we were; but, one tid bit led to another.
    Home Designer Pro 10

No=Black light..
    Funky style,went great with tie die T-shirts..
    Allen Colburn Jr.

Chief Architect XII
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Suite 8

Drafting for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Oh my, I missed that .... shows that my eyesight isn't what it used to be.

We could be discussing Lava Lights too. You ever wonder what kind of mess we would have on the floor if it (the lava light) ever broke? Yeek.
    Home Designer Pro 10