Thread: attic remodel

Hybrid View

Hey dra,

Dee is absolutely correct. From the looks of your picture the "attic" has a 24" pony wall under the ceiling/roof plane.
    I would consider using the instructions on how to build a 1-1/2 story house, where the 2nd floor is the "attic".

Here's the link for the basics: http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/...?faqNumber=358

Thanks for the rapid replies. I did learn quickly that "attic" is not a helpful term. I only used it to get the brick finish on the chimney in the area between the non-existant ceiling and the roof. I did construct the model with two floors with the stairs extending from 1 to 2. I did click on auto stairwell. That's when the odd railings appeared and the dormers got squirrly. Also, when I get to this point, I can't back up. The dormers still don't fit and I have to start over on their cocnstruction.

That brings up another problem. I added a brick wall finish to the chimney on floor 2 and then went to the attic to added brickwork there. However there is a gap between the two (see pic) that I can't eliminate. And is there a better way to make a chimney than constructing a small room with 4 walls?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	try2_3.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	4090