Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: attic remodel

attic remodel

Suite 7.09

I'm just starting an attic remodel and am trying to draw the existing attic as the first step. It's a simple plan, a chimney, stairwell, and two dormers. I've gotten the basic plan OK but when I add the stairs and try to add the stairwell it all goes south. The stairwell doesn't form. The railings are a jumble and the dormers get messed up (see pic). The dormer roof no longer matches the main roof and the area above the dormer window goes transparent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	try2_2.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	4087  

Usually the programs don't like the word "attic", therefore the stairwell is looking for a second floor.

In your case, you forgot to click on the auto stairwell; and be warned you may get a lovely message stating that second floor not to be found.
    Home Designer Pro 10

Hey dra,

Dee is absolutely correct. From the looks of your picture the "attic" has a 24" pony wall under the ceiling/roof plane.
    I would consider using the instructions on how to build a 1-1/2 story house, where the 2nd floor is the "attic".

Here's the link for the basics: http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/...?faqNumber=358

Thanks for the rapid replies. I did learn quickly that "attic" is not a helpful term. I only used it to get the brick finish on the chimney in the area between the non-existant ceiling and the roof. I did construct the model with two floors with the stairs extending from 1 to 2. I did click on auto stairwell. That's when the odd railings appeared and the dormers got squirrly. Also, when I get to this point, I can't back up. The dormers still don't fit and I have to start over on their cocnstruction.

That brings up another problem. I added a brick wall finish to the chimney on floor 2 and then went to the attic to added brickwork there. However there is a gap between the two (see pic) that I can't eliminate. And is there a better way to make a chimney than constructing a small room with 4 walls?

Name:	try2_3.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	4090  

To get the railings on the 2nd floor correct extend an "invisible" wall from any of the railings to an exterior wall.
    You can create the chimney by using the Soffit tool. Once you have the design change the material to brick.
    Can you post a picture of the 2nd story of your plan?
    Did you build the structure following the instructions in the above link?
    If you did, you should get something like the thumbnail.

Name:	attic.JPG 
Views:	241 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	4092   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	attic2.JPG 
Views:	222 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	4093  
    Last edited by daydreamer; 01-26-2008 at 04:43 PM.

Drag the first floor chimney through the roof is a viable option if you are using the tool bar fireplace. I no longer use the toolbar fireplace, I prefer custom fireplaces, thereby, I personally do not construct a chimney using a soffit that I can't drag through the second floor and the roofing.

The only time I use a soffit is whenever I am using the tutorial for custome fireplaces.

Try doing a search using the above search key for fireplaces and take a looky-loo at some of my personal creations.

But you are doing an excellent job with your plan.
    Home Designer Pro 10

Dee,

I'm not certain I am reading your post correctly, but you can drag a soffit through the second floor and the roof.

Name:	fp.JPG 
Views:	233 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	4096  
    Last edited by daydreamer; 01-26-2008 at 06:30 PM.

OK, I did follow the instructions from 358 to make the 2nd floor. Attaching an invisible wall from the railing to a side wall made no difference. the pix posted so far were of the 2nd floor. attached this time is the 1st floor. The soffit tool is much easier than building a four wall chimney. Thanks. I don't understand what you mean by "drag".

Name:	try2_4.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	4097  

On your 2nd floor you need to have 3 railings and 1 invisible wall around the stairs. The invisible wall needs to connect to an outside wall. Once that's created double-click in the area and make the Room Type - Open Below. (see attached)

Make the chimney (soffit). While in 3D view click on it. (see last thumbnail) When you see the move handle - the 4 sided arrow, press the CTRL key and hold it down. Then left-click on the move handle. Move it up to push it through the roof. You may also be able to resize it by going into Vector view camera and Cross section/elevation.

Name:	attic4.JPG 
Views:	231 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	4098   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	attic5.JPG 
Views:	231 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	4099   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	attic6.JPG 
Views:	232 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	4100  
    Last edited by daydreamer; 01-26-2008 at 06:40 PM.

My stairwell extends into the dormer area. I was unable to get your procedure to work there. The railing or invisible wall stopped at the dormer. I tried building the stairwell outside the dormer and that worked however I could not then move it into the dormer. Also, there is some strange artifact above the stairwell (see pic).

Name:	try2_5.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	4103  

The strange "artifact" is the result of the "island room" the stairwell is creating. Just make an invisible wall from the railing to an exterior wall.

Here's the stairs in the dormer.

Name:	attic7.JPG 
Views:	213 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	4105  
    Last edited by daydreamer; 01-26-2008 at 07:35 PM.

To exemplify what Daydreamer is saying.

Rooms cannot be enclosed inside other rooms. To fool the software attach the two room's walls together with an invisible wall and the software will be happy.
    BH&G Pro Rev. 7.08
    Central SW Ontario, Canada
    -AMD AthlonX2 4400, 2GB, Win XP Pro
    -GeForce 8600GT
    -80GB Internal, 1TB External HDD

I built a house using this and am still find it Mickey Mouse quality.

Quote Originally Posted by daydreamer
    Dee,

I'm not certain I am reading your post correctly, but you can drag a soffit through the second floor and the roof.

Sure can; all you have to do is hold down the control key and drag upward. Generally I stop at 320, then open vector and bring it back down to where it looks best height wise.
    Home Designer Pro 10

Quote Originally Posted by Deirdre
    I personally do not construct a chimney using a soffit that I can't drag through the second floor and the roofing.

Dee,

I thought you were saying you couldn't. The statement was a little confusing.

I know it's possible that's why I posted the picture.

Thanks for all the help. I'll get back at it tomorrow. The stairwell is getting there but the dormers are still squirilly