Hybrid View

How to Join Shed roof to Gable end

I have a gable end of the house and I want the roof over the deck to join the gable on the sides (same on other side of deck). I am not sure the right terminology, but I have attached a screen cap to show what I have now. In the red oval I want the gable roof plane to extend out to the corner. I don't know if you call this a hip or a shed. The roof over the deck is what I am after where it meets the gable end.

I have tried using the plane join function and could not get the desired results.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks, Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof Join.JPG 
Views:	1846 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	4113  
    Dave Brown
    Vancouver, WA
    Home Designer Pro 7.08

Woodworking keeps me sane
    (some peolple say I need to do more)

Hey Dave,

You've come to the right place. The pitch on the shed roof needs to be set to about 1 or 2 in 12 or maybe less.

Since you have Pro 7 I would recommend that you draw a manual roof plane.
    Double click on the Build Roof toolbutton and unselect the Auto Rebuild Roof.

Draw the roof plane beginning on the outboard wall of the porch. Once you have the roof plane drawn you can click on it an set the pitch, the baseline height, etc.

Dave,

There are a lot of variables involved with your design. To achieve a "roof pitch" either the overall deck height must be lower or the deck's floor height must be lower if you want to use a default ceiling height, or the house floor height must be higher if you want to use a default ceiling height or leave the floor height and raise the ceiling height. Fitting the shed in under the gable will also depend on the pitch of the house roof.

I have attached a quick sample. When I left the house and deck floor height at zero, the best I could get with this 6/12 roof on the house was a "flat roof" over the deck. I raised the house ceilings to 120" and set the porch to 97-1/8". The pitch is 1-9/16 in 12.

You can do it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dave.JPG 
Views:	1456 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	4114  
    Last edited by daydreamer; 01-27-2008 at 10:28 AM.