Gambrel Roof and deck roof

I have mostly figured out how to get our basic house structure in home designer. It's as pictured, except the roof lines are even. In the pictures it looks like the left side of the house is lower and it's not really. The part over the garage is a bit lower than the house. This is a two story house. I am having trouble making home designer realize that it has a second floor and I can't get a roof window in the roof over the double doors. The thing that is really bugging me and this is the reason I bought the program in the first place is that we want to put a new deck on. We have one as pictured and half of it has a roof, however that roof doesn't have a good slope and it leaks. The plan is to put a new roof over the entire deck and actually extend it over the single door to the left of the deck as well. We think it will sit on top of the existing roof over the double doors and then just slope down from there. But I'd really like to get an idea how this is going to look before we do it since this is the front of the house. I can't figure out how to put the deck roof on in home designer!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	view1.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	4276   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	view2.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	4277  

Hey jgh,

Is this a 2 story as you indicate or a 1-1/2 story? It doesn't look like a full 2 story to me. The first thumbnail is a "full" 2 story. The last two thumbnails are for 1-1/2 story.

I think the "roof window" you are talking about is a Dormer. If your software has and Automatic dormer you can use it.
    http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/...?faqNumber=442

Or you can make you own by following the instructions on this link. http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/...?faqNumber=396

For the deck roof do as described. Then double-click on the railing wall to the left of the double doors. Under the Roof tab, select Full Gable. Then in the data field next to Pitch enter 2.

If you need more help come back.

Name:	z1.JPG 
Views:	269 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	4284   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x1.JPG 
Views:	246 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	4289   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x2.JPG 
Views:	295 
Size:	148.5 KB 
ID:	4290  
    Last edited by daydreamer; 02-04-2008 at 09:42 AM.

Smile Gambrel Roof and deck roof

The house itself is 2 stories, but the roof is the walls of the second story. All the upstairs walls are slanted to some degree and yes there are a few dormers and a few roof windows. So I think my rendering in the software is closer than the two story home shown in the response. The deck roof can not sit under the existing roof as shown in the suggested pictures. There isn't enough height to do that. A builder we spoke to wants to put it on top and we'd use a metal roof that would sit under the shingles. When I put a ceiling over the deck it messes up the whole roof. This house is 80+ years old and been remodeled twice. I'm sure nothing is the way it would be done today. Thanks for the suggestions though.
    Jgh
    JGH
    Home Designer Suite 7.09
    Windows XP

jgh,

Sorry I couldn't help you. Working without any of your dimensions and from a small picture is difficult.
    The 2nd story you describe is really more like an attic.
    Maybe this is closer to what you are trying to get.

Name:	gab.JPG 
Views:	267 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	4292   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gab2.JPG 
Views:	279 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	4293  
    Last edited by daydreamer; 02-04-2008 at 01:41 PM.

Gambrel Roof and deck roof

Yes, that looks closer as far as how the gambrel roof covers the top half of the house. Both 'wings' of the L shape have a gambrel roof. Here's a couple of pictures of the house itself that I found. Ignore the TP, please, that was compliments of my son's friends!

But you'll see the roof over the deck only covers half of it now. So I'm trying to get this in the software so I can see what it will look like to put the roof over the whole deck. Thanks for your help!

Name:	house1.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	4307   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	house2.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	4308  
    JGH
    Home Designer Suite 7.09
    Windows XP

Okay, I finally see, that all of the roof's are Gambrel.

It doesn't appear that you built your model plan to the exact specifications of the actual house? In your pictures in post #1 you have the doors at "ground level". In the picture in post #6 the double doors on the deck look to be at least 36" above the ground level. Is the home built on a stem wall and have a crawlspace under it? Are the first floor ceilings 8'?

Looks like someone had fun with the toilet paper Halloween!
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7
    Picture Painter Home & Landscape

Nashville-TN

“ The nicest thing about the future is that it always starts tomorrow”

gambrel roof and deck roof

Hi Rick,
    Yes, sorry I didn't make that clear, all the roofs are gambrel.

The actual house ends at the deck railing. The house sits on a basement so it is higher than the garage level but I haven't measured that (does it matter? - probably a dumb question!). The single door you see that is lower and outside the deck area goes into the garage.

The specifications for the width & length around the outside are correct but height of house in relation to garage, no, I didn't worry about that. Partly because I have trouble with the elevation levels in the software. Either the house floats or the ground gobbles up the garage. So I decided to try to ignore that part for the moment. Both floors have 8 ft ceilings.
    Thanks
    JGH
    Home Designer Suite 7.09
    Windows XP

JGH,

I created this without manually drawing the deck roof.
    Maybe this will help you.

Name:	Capture1.JPG 
Views:	257 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	4346   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.JPG 
Views:	277 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	4347   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture3.JPG 
Views:	274 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	4348