What software to purchase

I have a friend that was checking out my new software. Needless to say he was impressed and wants to buy his own. He is a carpenter that dabbles in general contracting and remodels.

He wants to make sure that he gets a valid cost estimate to include bricks and concrete(slab/footing). He also wants to be able to customize rafter/stud/joist spacing. Ie. 24 oc outside walls, 16 oc inside walls, 24 oc rafters.

We noticed on my version that when it figured plywood to deck the floor that it was 2 sheets short from what we figured. This could easily be covered by adding in for waste material but over the whole job could hurt.

Cost for the software is an issue.
    Home Designer Suite 7.09 noob

There are products available just to do estimating with, that being said I'm sure other's on the forum will add that info to this reply. If he is a "dabbler" then he certainly should entertain HD Pro 7. The latest Pro version. Pro 8 is due out sometime Apr-May. The material list is pretty good, but even then needs editing and you never "assume" anything! Look at the way the word is spelled....***....u......me. If he plans to make a real living at his dabbling, then Chief X11 (high $$$$) is worth considering. My opinion.
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7
    Picture Painter Home & Landscape

Nashville-TN

“ The nicest thing about the future is that it always starts tomorrow”

Hey 57,

Well you know the old saying, "ya get what you pay for."

It depends how much your friend is dabbling. I would suggest either the new Architectural Home Designer or Pro 7. Maybe he should look at the comparison chart.
    http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/...son-matrix.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by BB boy
    If he plans to make a real living at his dabbling, then Chief X11 (high $$$$) is worth considering.
    Thanks Daydreamer for the link thats helpful.

He does make a living at his dabbling but we don't know if the investment is worth the money spent. He can figure his jobs manually but this would save time and give him some check and balances in the process. But I did fail to mention that his computer skills are, lets say, lacking. Is Chief as easy to use as the Home Designers? I ask because if he can't figure it out he will be calling me. I'm sure you understand my concern.

Pro has a higher learning curve than the lower versions of course, and CA X11 even higher, I am not a computer genius and I'm learning (slow because I don't have as much time as I'd like to play / work with it). Computers scare me (Sarah Connor Chronicals) but with Pro he can do plan layouts, and construction sets he wouldn't be able to do with the lower versions, and by tweaking the materials list he could / should get more accurate info for pricing. And the bonus, if (with your help) he can learn the software enough to do the 3D's' of the planned work, he can present it to his (prospective) clients and wow them with the plan and it always helps with the sales. My opinion I did an entire house remodel for my son and his wife, did all the plans with Pro 6 converted them to Pro 7. What a difference it made in helping them decide what they wanted, and me how to do it. And, when ordering stuff likes pre-fin cabinets, I just gave that plan sheet to the bidders and they gave me the pricing. (I had to install of course).
    Last edited by BB boy; 02-06-2008 at 11:16 AM.
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7

Nashville-TN

If cost of the software is that big of an issue a simple spreadsheet in Excell would do the trick. A few multiplication factors makes it pretty easy. But then you say he is computer illiterate, this may be a problem also.

Walls should be easy. You just need some many feet of 2x4 for a foot of lineal length and he would know how easy this must be to do if he is doing it on paper now.
    BH&G Pro Rev. 7.08
    Central SW Ontario, Canada
    -AMD AthlonX2 4400, 2GB, Win XP Pro
    -GeForce 8600GT
    -80GB Internal, 1TB External HDD

I built a house using this and am still find it Mickey Mouse quality.

Larry,
    I just set up an excell workbook for him to keep track of his employees & expenses. He loves it and could definitely handle what your talking about. I would have to build it for him though. I would rather see him spend the money.

BB,
    Can you explain plan layouts and construction sets? Briefly. He likes the idea of 3D's for wowing customers.

Some people you have to push to make them techno smart, despite all the kicking and screaming.

The software may be a good tools for him to learn but for "dabbling" it may be too big a curve.

I think the trade off point to face the learning curve or not face the climb is building from 0.95 to 1.06 homes or more.
    BH&G Pro Rev. 7.08
    Central SW Ontario, Canada
    -AMD AthlonX2 4400, 2GB, Win XP Pro
    -GeForce 8600GT
    -80GB Internal, 1TB External HDD

I built a house using this and am still find it Mickey Mouse quality.

You can check on line with Chief-in the specials and rebates section of the web, there may be a $50 rebate available also.
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7

Nashville-TN

BB,
    Can you explain plan layouts and construction sets? Briefly. He likes the idea of 3D's for wowing customers.

Thank you guys for the help on my avatar.

a layout is where you can send your plans to a sheet to be printed,

a construction set is a collection of layout pages, say set of plans is 7 pages

site plan
    floor plan
    found. plan
    floor framing plan
    roof framing plan
    sections
    details
    Pro 7

Thanks for helping Blue. I lost track of the thread. A sample of a layout page see thumbnail. Son / his wife kitchen, part of a whole house remodel I did. I made layout template saved them, then open and use as needed, always saving the master for re-use. Plan set as blue stated, is the set you generally permit / bid / build by. Some jurisdictions just want a plan (architectural) electrical, plumbing and HVAC with a couple of elevations, some want the works and others have detailed spec's as to what they will accept, but the set is what ever it takes to get it permitted, priced, and built. Nice thing about pro-or Chief X11 you can take the lap top out to the job and pull up or even make details for the builder team to help them understand what you want. Of course, you can do that with all the CA programs, but you're limited to what you can do from a plan set / layout option. (My opinion)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kitchen Layout.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	4335  
    Last edited by BB boy; 02-07-2008 at 12:03 PM.
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7

Nashville-TN

Thank you so much now I can go present this info to him.