Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

error: you cannot delete an item with 3 edges

I’ve manually adjusted an autobuilt gable end roof over a rear exterior knee wall in cross section view in CAD mode. But I can’t delete the last section of the old line. An error message comes up saying “11643 you cannot delete an item with 3 edges”. But it’s got 4 edges, merging the handles doesn’t work in CAD mode, the delete keyboard key ineffective and the Home Designer delete button is greyed out with CAD off. This bit of extraneous CAD doesn’t show up in the floor plan. Deleting the wall in floor plan view deletes the whole wall and when I rebuild it, its gable end cuts through the roof line above the knee wall as the original did so I’m back to square one. I ticked knee wall in the rear wall dbx and the rest of this roof plane works fine over it. Any suggestions warmly welcomed. If I’ve got to live with this, so be it, its still better than my manual roof planes.
    This forum is really useful, as a new user the learning curve is steeper than some of the spikes in my first attempts at terrain modelling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roofline.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	4332  

Hey mudplugga,

Can you post a picture of your plan?

I think you are probably using Pro but, it will be very helpful to all of us if you would enter the Name of your BH&G product and the Version in your Signature.
    To enter the information in your signature, click on Quick Links near the top of the page by Log Out. In the drop-down box click Edit Signature. Enter your information and click Save Signature.

Can't delete CAD object

I've got Pro 7.08 and thought I'd included software info in my signature after trying to follow Dermot's advice of Aug 2003. Sorry about that. My plan is over one meg and it's just a rough draft. With a 100 KB limit for attachments it won't begin to arrive, will it? I've never posted an image file or plan file to another website to provide a link like Dermot suggests for files over 100 KBs. I've noticed a few thumnails in the forum posts are over the 100 KB limit but none are over one meg.

zip it and post it in chieftalk, 2 mb limit there for zips, then provide a link back here
    Pro 7

You should be able to snip-it if you have the new Vista program. If not there are free "capture" software tools you can get. One of the design ladies suggested "easy capture" for me and I love it. Sample thumbnail I did for you!

Name:	capture floor plan.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	4336  
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7
    Picture Painter Home & Landscape

Nashville-TN

“ The nicest thing about the future is that it always starts tomorrow”

If you want easier ways to capture portions of plans, renders, etc. I would recommend the following screen capture programs.
    Cropper - http://graphicssoft.about.com/gi/dyn...2FCropper.aspx
    IrfanView - http://www.irfanview.com/
    SnagIt - http://www.techsmith.com/screen-capt...ahoonssStmhome
    MWSnap - http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html
    SnapFiles - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/easycapture.html

Thanks for the neat plan. My image editor will shrink stuff in jpg2 (JPG 2000)format. Can jpg2s be opened in this forum? My CAD problem can't be seen in floor plan view. It only appears in vector and render views. I've a phantom doorway in an outside wall which won’t disappear in render or vector views likewise. The doorway is necessary because there are exterior stairs in an invisible room outside between levels.
    My floor plan view gives no clue to this. What mistake would you look for in floor plan view?
    Mudplugga
    Home Designer Pro 7.08

Just trying to get a better idea of what you are trying to accomplish.
    You talk of an exterior knee wall, it's just a bit confusing.
    Perhaps some other elevation views of the problem area would help.

I didn’t explain it properly. The knee wall is only a short section. There’s a return and the house long wall reverts to full height. The knee section looks like it has a lower shed roof but its roof is the main plane of the rest of the roof at the same pitch. The vector view is looking at the gable corner (the knee section is directly behind the gable corner for about ten feet before it returns to the main wall) and the errant polyline is the last remnant of the auto built roof plane and auto rebuilt gable wall most of which I managed to delete.
    I couldn’t attach a jpg2 of the plan to this, it was rejected. I tried a screen capture but its as big as a jpg file unless I reduce it so much you can’t see it. Either I’m missing something or I’m not using my noodle as Judge Judy would say.
    Mudplugga
    Home Designer Pro 7.08

I do this a simpler way. Reduce the 3D render window to about one quarter screen or less. Scroll to display what you want on screen, in that window. Use the file>export>jpg option to output a jpg picture. This will range between about 40k and 200k and will be able to be downloaded by all to see it.

No special tools required for this.

Some confusion looks apparent here. Some are referiing to an image of the plan and some are discussing the plan file itself.

DD: read the sentence above.
    Last edited by Larry; 02-08-2008 at 09:47 AM.
    BH&G Pro Rev. 7.08
    Central SW Ontario, Canada
    -AMD AthlonX2 4400, 2GB, Win XP Pro
    -GeForce 8600GT
    -80GB Internal, 1TB External HDD

I built a house using this and am still find it Mickey Mouse quality.

I don't understand how so many other people can post pictures and you can't? If you read posts on this forum frequently you must see that pictures of plans, elevations etc are posted. You gotta be missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by daydreamer
    I don't understand how so many other people can post pictures and you can't? If you read posts on this forum frequently you must see that pictures of plans, elevations etc are posted. You gotta be missing something.
    Look back two posts. He is trying to post the plan file.
    BH&G Pro Rev. 7.08
    Central SW Ontario, Canada
    -AMD AthlonX2 4400, 2GB, Win XP Pro
    -GeForce 8600GT
    -80GB Internal, 1TB External HDD

I built a house using this and am still find it Mickey Mouse quality.

He says "I couldn’t attach a jpg2 of the plan to this, it was rejected."
    A jpg of the plan is not a plan file.

Thanks Larry. I’ve now got to hold my hand up and confess I didn’t know a kilobyte was a thousand bytes or so and not a hundred. Thank you Wikipedia. My version of Photopaint measures images in bytes, not kilobytes, but that’s no excuse. Here are two renders of the CAD lines I can’t remove. Thanks for your interest.

Name:	knee wall.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	173.9 KB 
ID:	4357   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doorway.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	175.7 KB 
ID:	4358  
    Mudplugga
    Home Designer Pro 7.08

Hi mud,

Is that the remnants of a doorway at the landing of the stairs in the 2nd photo?