Making a closet with different wall height than room

I have a room with a 10 ' ceiling that contains a closet whose walls only go 8' (imagine box within a box).

I have set the ceiling height of the closet to 8' and set the ceiling height of the enclosing room to 10' but the closet is shown to have walls that go 10'.

What do I have to do to make this work?

Is the floor above at the same height as the closet ceiling? If so then you probably have a low spot in the floor above the closet that you need to model with a differnt floor height.

Alternatively, If the floor or attic space above is all at one level then use the lowered ceiling option to show a ceiling that is lower than the floor above allows.
    Dan Park
    Customer Support Manager
    Chief Architect, Inc

Lower Ceiling Closet

Dan , I think Goodmank is trying to do what I have attached. What I did is by no mean correct. I placed an outdoor box shape to show the box in box idea. How can we make this to be a closet the proper way Dan ?
    Last edited by nelsaadi; 01-03-2006 at 07:28 PM.

lower ceiling closet

Here is the attachment
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes - that's exactly what I'm trying to do (with closet doors of course). Also, its important that the closet be closed at the top - that surface is used a decorating perspective for plants, etc.

I forgot to mention that I'm using Designer Pro 7, in case that makes any difference.

Instructions for PRO 6 or 7:

1) draw the room with default ceiling height for the rest of the room.

2) Create a cross section elevation of each wall and edit the height of the wall to the desired height.

3) Place a cabinet soffit in the room and edit it to be the ceiling over the closet. ( a slab could also be used here to fill in the ceiling)

Note that step 2 is a PRO function.

Another method for users of other versions that do not have wall height editing, would be to create two floors. Set the second floor height at the height of the closet and the ceiling at the height between the top of the closet and the ceiling.

Make the area on the second floor that is not where the closet is at as open below. This should give you a reasonable representation of the 3D model.
    Dan Park
    Customer Support Manager
    Chief Architect, Inc

This thread has been a great help - thanks!