Thread: 1 1/2 story

1 1/2 story

I just got HD Pro 6.0 on friday and went through most of the tutorials. I am designing a 1 1/2 story home with 2 large gables in the front on the 2nd story. The roof slopes down over the open family room to the first floor roof in the back of the house. At each side of the 1 1/2 story section is the garage on the right and the master bed / bath on the left (sorry, I'll post pics tonight). I had to do the roof manually. I got it completed without the gables so far but can not get the 2nd story wall and attic wall to close in. Any suggestions? Also its very difficult to select the roof section I want to change. I cant click on the roof plane I want. I always am getting a room, wall, dimension, or something else! There should be a entity selection option pop-up if you hold the cursor on the item long enough (I guess thats wishful thinging for this level of software)
    Thanks for any help!

Dave,

I am assuming Pro 6 is like using Pro 7.
    If you are click on the Roof Tool on the toolbar. Then you will get the "child" toolbuttons. The one on the left is "Roof Planes". Use it to make the selections and not the "arrow" selection tool.

It will be very helpful to all of us if you would enter the Name of your BH&G product and the Version in your Signature.
    To enter the information in your signature, click on Quick Links near the top of the page by Log Out. In the drop-down box click Edit Signature. Enter your information and click Save Signature.

UnHappy Here are some pics of my problems

Rick,
    Attached are some pics of my roof and wall issues. Notice there is a gap in the peak on both sides. How do I make to walls conform to the roofs? Also I am not sure how close to move the roof to the wall on the outside. I am also going to put dormers in the front on the 2nd story.
    Thanks very much for looking at it,
    Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roof wall problem.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	4459   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st flr.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	4460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd flr.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	4461  
    Dave M
    HD Pro 6.0

Dave,

Why aren't the two walls in the attached picture complete.

You might be able to fix the gap by going into the attic and fixing or adding a wall to close the gap.

You said, Also I am not sure how close to move the roof to the wall on the outside.

Are you talking about the "overhang" at the Gable wall? If you are, make them consistent with the rest of your plan. My guess is that it would be at least 16". Double click on the Roof Tools button on the toolbar. You will see what the progam default is.

Name:	roof.JPG 
Views:	227 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	4465  
    Last edited by daydreamer; 02-19-2008 at 04:06 AM.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the PM. Always glad to lend a hand if I can.
    Since your plan looks more like a 2 story, I made this quick design.

Name:	dave2.JPG 
Views:	237 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	4466  

Rick,
    OK, I was beating my head against the computer last night until it started hurting my screen lol. I tried to finish in the wall under the roof but couldnt do it, it wont close in. Then I tried to manually put in some dormers as shown in the pic below and it wouldnt join the roof planes properly. To answer your questions, those 2 walls that arent complete are the ones I am trying to make the program close off properly. shouldnt it close them off as shown in the pic below? The roof to wall question is how close the 1st story roofs should cut into the 2nd story wall. I noticed on the tutorial last night it said just butt it to the outside of the studs. If you or anyone can help me get this plan to look like the below pic with porch and dormers I would become very happy.
    Thanks,
    Dave

Name:	40865dbe.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	4467  
    Dave M
    HD Pro 6.0

Smile Awesome

Rick,
    Your quick design looks very similiar to what I am trying to do. How did you get the walls and roof to look so good? Can you add a quick porch? If I cant get this done, would you be willing to adjust mine to get it to work?
    Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave M
    HD Pro 6.0

The plan I originally based my design on can be seen online at http://www.architecturaldesigns.com/...40865db.asp#f1
    I have mirrored the plan and changed the garage / laundry and room sizes slightly.
    Dave M
    HD Pro 6.0

Hi Dave,

This is an easy house. First start out by building the basic rectangles of the 1st floor. Call the walls gables where required. Next build the 2nd floor deriving from the 1st floor. Only put walls around the middle section and label the side walls gable.

Dave, I really don't think those are considered dormers on the 2nd floor. They are just gables above the windows.

I think this is pretty close.

I will look it over when you get things complete.
    Check your Private Messages for my email address.

Name:	dave4.JPG 
Views:	252 
Size:	183.8 KB 
ID:	4470  
    Last edited by daydreamer; 02-19-2008 at 07:20 AM.

Thanks Rick,
    Your really fast! Can you tell me the steps you used to create the roof? Did you do it automatically and how did you create those roof returns? Any special steps to making the porch? I pretty much did make the the walls and floors like you decribe above but could not get the roof to work.
    Dave
    Dave M
    HD Pro 6.0

The roof was done automatically except for the porch. which was semi-auto.
    For the returns double-click on a wall, then under the roof tab select Auto Roof Return. I think part of the problem you are having is that the rear roof plane is not like you have started done in your first picture. However, if it really is, then then you would need to use a different pitch for the front and the rear.

Help

SOS,
    Rick, I sent you a PM on this also with more files. Still cant get the roof. I was also trying to add in the porch with open walls and an elevated porch floor. Can you lay out the specific steps to me on how to get the roof and porches done please? Do you work for BH&G? Also I dont see anything in the wall dialog about auto roof returns?? I used 8 / 12 pitch for all roof planes. I have also sent you my .pln files.
    In gratitude,
    Dave

Name:	h2a.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	4479   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	h2b.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	4480  
    Dave M
    HD Pro 6.0

Hi Dave,

I received your email and plan. I have "repaired" your plan and included instructions.

I do not work for BH&G.

The thumbnail below shows the location of the Auto Roof Return function in Pro 7. I don't know if Pro 6 has it or not. You might want to click on the ? for Help and enter Auto in the search field.

Name:	dave.JPG 
Views:	229 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	4489  

Roof Returns

Rick,
    Well I think I've finally got the roof in great shape but I need to put returns on all the eaves. I couldnt find anything in pro 6 on making returns. How would I do this manually. Any one you know know how to do this?
    Dave M
    HD Pro 6.0

Hi Dave,

Glad to hear you are finally having success.

If you don't have it in Pro 6, and you can't make manual roof planes, you might be out of luck.
    Last edited by daydreamer; 02-25-2008 at 10:43 AM.