Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

UnHappy Help - Lost my Family Room

I've been experimenting with the new Home Designer Suite 8.0 to capture my house as it is. I created the 1st floor, from there the basement, then added the 2nd floor. I ran into some problems creating the different roof areas, specifically changing the default hip roofs to gable roofs. I think I understand what to do now.

However in the process I messed up my family room (1st floor, no 2nd floor over it) to where it was putting the roof directly on top of the floor instead of on top of the walls. Somehow in the process of trying to get back to where I started I seem to have "nullified" my family room.

It seems to no longer be a recognized "room". As you can see in the attached plan the room layout still exists, but I cannot select the room (and then tag it as a Family Room, change room properties, etc.). In the 3D view I see the walls fine but it looks like I have grass for the floor. Note that the basement is underneath this room, but I have not changed any of the outside topography yet.

Any solutions on how I get back my family room to be recognized again? I tried deleting the 3 exterior walls and redrawing them, but with the same results.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FR.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	4758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FR3D.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	4759  

Hi pman

I don't see a complete wall where the Fireplace is. Delete the fireplace and re-post a picture.
    If you stopped the wall and "butted" against the fireplace on both sides it's not a complete room. Complete the wall.
    Push the fireplace until it hits the wall then hold the CTRL key down and click on the 4 sided arrow in the fireplace and move it into and through the wall.

The wall connection by the small bathroom (where the toilet is) doesn't look like it's aligned.
    Last edited by daydreamer; 03-09-2008 at 04:02 PM.

Aha! Success!

I thought for sure the fireplace was the problem because your thought triggered my memory that the last thing I did before things went haywire was extend the fireplace up thru the roof and down to the foundation. I was sure that screwed it up, but no. When I deleted it, the wall filled in correctly.

But when I zoomed way in on the corner where the bath and family room, you were right, it didn't look proper, and I was able to fiddle around to get it aligned correctly. Then voila, I could select the room again.

Thank you so much!

Now about that fireplace... I can place it inside the room, I can place it outside the room (but that doesn't make sense). But I cannot place it to straddle the wall so the firebox opening is flush with the wall, the hearth is inside the room, and the firebox/chimney is exterior. Should I try breaking the wall for this?

Then I want to extend the full width chimney down to the foundation, but narrow it before it hits the roof and goes up. I don't think HD Suite can narrow part of it?

Thanks again for your help. Now back to the roof...

No, don't break the wall.
    To get the fireplace into the wall read the 3rd sentence in post #2

While in 3d view select the fireplace. Press and hold the CTRL key. Use the top drag handle a and drag the fireplace up to the roof or slightly below.

Using the soffit tool make it the narrower size you want and place it on top of the chimney. Change the materials to the brick you used on the fireplace.

I glossed right over that. Duh! I will give it a try. Thank you!

- Steve

You're welcome!

Is that Grafton, Illinois you are referring to in your profile?

It will be very helpful to all of us if you would enter the Name of your BH&G product and the Version in your Signature. To enter the information in your signature, click on Quick Links near the top of the page by Log Out. In the drop-down box click Edit Signature. Enter your information and click Save Signature.

Here's a picture of the fireplace.
    I used 2 wedges and a soffit to make the upper part. (see 1st thumbnail)
    Then I changed the material to be the same as the Fireplace.

Name:	fp.JPG 
Views:	193 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	4761   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fp2.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	4762   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fp3.JPG 
Views:	184 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	4763  
    Last edited by daydreamer; 03-09-2008 at 05:14 PM.

Thanks Rick. I got the chimney done (note the little fancy design on top!), although I couldn't figure out where to find a wedge. Or how do I create one?

You'll also note that I couldn't step my foundation down - I read that HD Suite can't do pony walls. That sucks as I got this program to plan my finished basement. I'll have to frame inside walls along the pony walls anyway, and I guess just put a notation that these are half-height or knee walls.

Thanks again for your help. Next weekend I'll tackle the terrain and my bedroom over the garage. I laid out 2nd floor walls there, but got a 2nd story roof. I'll have to remove that room, put a roof over the garage, and then experiment with dormers to get the true layout.

Name:	chimney.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	4774  
    Steve P.
    Home Designer Suite 8.0

Hi Steve,

Glad I was able to help you. Looks good!

Can you re-read post #6 and reply?

No, I'm in MA...

I am curious as to how did you implement the wedges?
    Steve P.
    Home Designer Suite 8.0

In the Library in Pro 7 there are Geometric Shape symbols.

Name:	zzz.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	4776   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zzzz.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	4777  

I have wedges! I just can't figure out how to use them properly. Do I have to go into some kind of build mode? Right now I generate the full overview, go to my chimney, browse to wedges, click the wedge and then click on the flat surface of the chimney where I want the wedge to go. It highlights/selects a section of the house instead of placing the wedge.

Oh, and thanks for your help. I do check the tool help and online help before asking - they are not what I would call extensive...

Edit: Darn, that didn't show the section of the house selected like it was on screen when I exported the picture...

Name:	wedge.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	4778  
    Steve P.
    Home Designer Suite 8.0

Steve,

After you select the wedge and try to "paste" it into the plan, it will try to go to ground level.

Best way to do it is to select the wedge and place it in 2D on the plan view near the fireplace. Then if you know the approximate height set the Floor to Bottom to a dimension. In you case, let's guess at about 120".

Render a view, then click on Window in the Toolbar then on Tile Vertically.
    Now you can make some of the moves in 3D and the others and sizing in 2D.
    After you make a move in the 2D window you will see your results in the 3D window.

Good luck!
    Last edited by daydreamer; 03-10-2008 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daydreamer
    Steve,

After you select the wedge and try to "paste" it into the plan, it will try to go to ground level.

Best way to do it is to select the wedge and place it in 2D on the plan view near the fireplace. Then if you know the approximate height set the Floor to Bottom to a dimension. In you case, let's guess at about 120".

Render a view, then click on Window in the Toolbar then on Tile Vertically.
    Now you can make some of the moves in 3D and the others and sizing in 2D.
    After you make a move in the 2D window you will see your results in the 3D window.

Good luck!
    Awesome, Rick. It took a few tries to figure out what was going on, but I nailed it! Thanks. I'll probably be back this weekend with dormer questions.

Name:	chimney.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	4789  
    Steve P.
    Home Designer Suite 8.0

Hi Steve
    Your right next door to me,sort of..
    I go to the Grafton flea market a few times a year.And have done lots of work up that way.

Send me your plan if you want,I would like to see how Chief works with it..
    Allen Colburn Jr.

Chief Architect XII
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Suite 8

Drafting for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/