Thread: Cabin

Cabin

Hi. Just came back from the cabin. Created a plan file for it (see www.intergate.com/~dallen24/cabin0.plan). I got the measurements close, but could use help on a couple of items:

1) The top of the roof on the new addition is higher than the old roof. Should be even.

2) Not that worried about it, but the floor on the new addition should also be 8" higher then the old section.

3) In the center of the building is a 2' square area for the chimmey. How can I pop it out of the roof without altering the roof lines or having a roof cap on it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabin0.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	5116   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabin0a.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	5117  

Hi Dennis,

1. You can get the ridge heights the same by changing the pitch of the roof's.

2. Make the floor 8" higher and adjust the ceiling accordingly.

3. Make the chimney from a Soffit and drag it all the way through the attic and the roof.

Name:	cabin.JPG 
Views:	255 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	5123  
    Last edited by daydreamer; 03-24-2008 at 05:02 AM.

Hey Rick, isn't that thumbnail you posted with this thread response, the one you provided to http://hometalk.homedesignersoftware...ead.php?t=6532 post number 6?
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7
    Picture Painter Home & Landscape

Nashville-TN

“ The nicest thing about the future is that it always starts tomorrow”

Yeah, Bob it is/was. Thanks for seeing that. I attached the wrong picture. I edited the original post and changed the picture.

Man, I gotta get a tablet pen. I am left handed, but use a mouse with my right hand for all computer work. When I need to write something, like the pitches I scribbled in, I write them with the mouse with my right hand.

Hey-YOU'RE welcome for a change, I am good for something!!!!! I don't write well with the mouse and either hand! Also shows, I read a lot of post-always looking for hints and helps. Saves me from having to post a lot of ??'s. Got to get to work!:mad:
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7
    Picture Painter Home & Landscape

Nashville-TN

“ The nicest thing about the future is that it always starts tomorrow”

"1) The top of the roof on the new addition is higher than the old roof. Should be even."

You can change the pitches like Rick suggested in order to get the ridge to be the same height as the old part. You may have to do quite a bit of tweaking on the pitch to get it to be exactly the same height as the old part and when you are done you might have a very strange pitch to make instead of a more common 4 in 12 or 6 in 12 type roof.

Another way to do this is to change your floor plan slightly. If you make your left most wall the same length as your original bottom wall, then you can have the same pitch all the way around and your ridge should line up nicely. This will mean that you will have to have either an L-shaped or T-shaped floorplan like my picture.

Name:	roof line.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	5124  

Dennis,
    1) The top of the roof on the new addition is higher than the old roof. Should be even.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The solution I found was to draw an invisible wall running from the upper wall to the lower one, cutting both the upper wall and the lower one at the intersections with the invisible wall (see plan). Check the option automatic roof building and move the far right wall until the ridges level. Then uncheck the option automatic roof building and get that wall back to its original position. That will do

2) Not that worried about it, but the floor on the new addition should also be 8" higher then the old section.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Assuming the new section is at the left of the invisible wall, I edited it and set the floor height at 8" higher than the right section

3) In the center of the building is a 2' square area for the chimmey. How can I pop it out of the roof without altering the roof lines or having a roof cap on it?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    I chose a fireplace provided by HD 7.09 and finished it with a soffit popping out of the roof (see interior/ full view)

Name:	Plan 709.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	5131   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabin 709 full view.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	5132   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fireplace - level.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	5133  
    Greiner

Thanks for the replies.

1) I went with the other solution and did a 4/12 pitch on the upper/lower walls of the new addition. Looks good.

2) I raised the floor on the new addition 6". Looks close.

3) So that's the soffit tool, in cabinets. Raised it's height until it broke thru the roof.

This summer I plan to replace the trusses of the old section, continuing the new addition trusses over the old. I tried it with HD, but the roof didn't draw very well. Must have something to do with the height of the new addition. Question. Is there a way to run the trusses over the old section without raising the interior wall height?

Name:	cabin1.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	5140  

Dennis,

Glad that solution worked out. I thought you were modeling a structure that was already built.

Since the span is the same as the new section you can have the truss manufacturer match your pitch and make a step in the bottom chord of the truss to allow for the height differential. You will end up with a cabin having just two gable walls.

Name:	cabin.JPG 
Views:	233 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	5141  

The cabin is 45 years old, but the new addition is only 15. You're right. When the times comes, I'll have to crawl into the new addition attic, to get exact measurements and make sure I got 4/12 trusses. Also have to get the exact difference in height between the new and old sections. If they can build the height difference into the truss, great. Otherwise, I'll just raise the height of the old walls.