Thread: Stupid roof....

Stupid roof....

Using Architectural Home Designer - just got it so whatever version...

1872 home with several additions, so I have 3 separate gable roofs. Two almost line up end to end going top to bottom but there is a slight 1' offset.. then one L parallel to the right.

Do you have to do the roof before you set the interior walls? The roofline isn't crucial to what I am doing (yet) but now it is a matter of pride.

I've used this link

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/...?faqNumber=456

However, I never see the "Build Roof" dialogue box they show at the bottom.

I do so hope I did this right as far as attaching the pictures....I put a picture of the front of the house in here as well. Will the area over the front door be considered a dormer?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Architect.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	5156   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1169.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	5157  

Hi Sam,

No, you don't need to do the interior walls before you do the roof.

Do your model dimensions equal those of your house?
    If there is not supposed to be a 1' offset on the ridge?

You probably won't get that dialog box with AHD.

The area over the front porch is just a shed roof. Draw a couple of invisible walls to make a "room" and name it Porch. In the picture I have drawn some lines. The G means make that wall a gable. The 3-4 means make that wall a Pitch of 3 or 4.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sam.JPG 
Views:	244 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	5158  

Yes, the measurements are correct. There IS supposed to be a 1' overhang of roof between the main part of the house and the far south wing that was an addition; therefore the roof on the wing is about 2' lower than the rest of the house. The roof ridge offsets approx. 4' east on that wing from the main part of the house. The main house roof is extremely pitched, as you can see, although we have 11' ceilings. I'm doing a lot of guessing on height of the roofs since I have no desire to actually try to measure :-)

The roof ridge on the north part of the house runs N to S, as does the addition on the south side (bottom), with the offset of ridge. The gable on the E/W part of the house obviously runs E/W. The gable roof thingy/shed roof over the entryway runs N/S. I went at this backwards and did all the room dimensions before considering the roof. I got sidetracked.

So I draw the basic footprint, then add break walls, then return the baseline walls to their former position?

Can I do the roof at a later time since I'm starting to foam at the mouth and the roof actually has nothing to do with the kitchen, which should be my primary focus?

The area over the front is actually an entryway into the house, not a porch, and the gabled end is over that....so still call it a shed roof?

If you are satisfied with the exterior shell then forget about the roof for now.
    I will try to make a model based on what I see in your plan.

In the pictures I see a gable above the front door. Then I see a shed roof over what appears to be a porch. That is the roof I was referring to.

THANK YOU - I was going to be seriously depressed if I had to start from scratch again! I should register myself as StartingFromScratch...

Daydreamer - you are correct on the shed roof, gable, whatchacallit...over the entryway.

But I'll have to go back and do the break walls, correct? I'm having a lot o fun but some of the terms go WAY over my head and I just have to pick and choose what to attack at different times. I'll probably end up with 6 different plans, all of different things...not sure I can make it all come together into one cohesive unit. The roof keeps hipping in spite of my best intentions...maybe just time to move on to something else and look at it fresh.

I appreciate your help very much.

Sam,

Work on the other aspects of the projects and forget about the roof for now. Like I said earlier, if you have the exterior walls the way they are supposed to be dimensionally, work on the interior until your hearts content. When it's time to do the roof we we be around to help you.
    So for now just have fun designing.

The products always perform better if a certain order is followed. (like our better halves)

Seems like we have to find out the hard way though...LOL
    BH&G Pro Rev. 7.08
    Central SW Ontario, Canada
    -AMD AthlonX2 4400, 2GB, Win XP Pro
    -GeForce 8600GT
    -80GB Internal, 1TB External HDD

I built a house using this and am still find it Mickey Mouse quality.