Thread: Stem wall

Hybrid View

Stem wall

I have a plan with a walkout basement in which the stem wall height was set to 112". The floor height was -120" and the ceiling height 108". I was playing around with the ceiling height in the defaults room dialog and accidentally set the floor height to -1440" or something close to that. I clicked on another field, and it set my stem wall height to 1432". When I set my floor height back to -120" and clicked on another field, the stem wall height remained at 1432". I wasn't paying attention and hit the OK button. Now my foundation walls are 1432", and I can't figure out a way to get them back to 112" like they should be.

Suite doesn't allow me to manually set the stem wall height in the room defaults dialog box. Also, I can override the defaults stem wall height for most of the rooms in the basement, but some of them have the option grayed out.

Any ideas short of deleting the foundation? I had already layed out and decorated most of the rooms in the basement when I did this.

The reason I was playing around with the wall heights was because the crown molding I added in the basement looked very strange. It didn't look like the molding on the first and second floor.

I forgot to add that I'm using HD Suite 8.0

Hey ablanton,

Try going into Floor 1 and setting the floor height to zero. and see if it changes the basement stem wall height.

It will be very helpful to all of us if you would enter the Name of your BH&G product and the Version in your Signature. It is especially important now that the new version 8 products have been released. To enter the information in your signature, click on Quick Links near the top of the page by Log Out. In the drop-down box click Edit Signature. Enter your information and click Save Signature.

Rick,

I tried that, but it didn't change the basement stem wall height at all. Sorry, I added my signature after I realized it wasn't there on the first post.
    Allen B.
    HD Suite 8.0

Can you post a picture of your Room Specification dialogh box for Floor 0?

Hi Allen
    Put checks in the Default boxes to reset them..
    Allen Colburn Jr.

Chief Architect XII
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Suite 8

Drafting for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Here's a picture of the dialog.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roomdialog.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	5995  
    Allen B.
    HD Suite 8.0

That's the Room Defaults dialog box.
    Double click in one of the rooms in the basement and post the Room Specification dialog box.

I figured out why I could not set the stem wall height in some of the individual rooms. If a room is defined as entirely interior (not touching any stem wall), then the stem wall height option is grayed out. I have a few rooms where I had an interior wall right up next to a stem wall as it is in my real plan. If I move the interior wall a few inches away from the stem wall and edited the room properties in between the two walls, I was able to get the setting back to 112". I could then move the wall back up agains the stem wall. I tried setting the interior wall to "No room definition", which should allow me to do the same thing, but I got some weird behavior. I could no longer select the room until I deleted the interior wall portions. Perhaps I had a wall not lining up properly somewhere else.

I still think the room defaults dialog should have allowed me to set the stem wall settings back to normal without having to edit each individual room on the floor.
    Allen B.
    HD Suite 8.0