Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout
    Assuming that suite 8 is much like deluxe 7, you should see a dialog box like this when you go to start a new plan. If you are missing all of your style templates, then I am guessing you had an install problem. I would try uninstalling and then reinstalling if this is the case. If that does not solve your problem, then you might try calling tech support but I strongly suspect that they will tell you that W2K is not supported anymore. It is pretty old now.
    I should have more clearly edited that, I guess; I noted earlier up the post that she'd just told me (after I'd written most of it) that she successfully installed it at work on Win2K as a test, so we must have just had the install go badly at home.

As for your roof, I can't really picture what you want. You might try posting a picture or at least something that would give us a better idea. I'm not sure if suite can do your roof or not but if I know what it looks like I might have a better idea.
    Alas, it's sort of difficult to explain in 2-D. And HDS8 *is* my 3-D program.

I'll give it one more shot trying to explain it in words, though.

You can think of the design as 3 slices of house, sharing a common back wall. The center slice is 30x70' (deep), and the 2 side slices are each 25x75' (also deep).

The main slice will have a one-piece shed roof, sloping down and back from an 18' front wall to a 10' back wall (and cantilevering over a 10' deep porch, though I can make this a separate roof if I have to).

Each of the side slices will have a 2-segment shed roof, sloping down from 14' to 10' then jumping up on a window-wall back to 14' and sloping down again to 10' at the back wall of the house.

So, if you look at the house from a high elevation, from the South (it will face North), you'll be looking at 5 nice flat places to mount PV panels.

I gather, from my limited playing around, that you do this by building the walls, and then hanging the roof off the walls, and the ceiling under the roof. I'm just not sure how it will handle them being separate roofs.

(The seams between the three slices will be block walls, as are the rest of the exterior walls.)

Does that explain it any better? I'll try to sketch it, but it will probably require paper and a scanner; I've never tried to do an iso sketch electronically.