Hybrid View

Question Can I import Kraftmaid CAD Files?

Can I use Kraftmade .dwg CAD files with Home Designer Suite 8.0?

SK

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by skmin
    Can I use Kraft made CAD files with Home Designer Suite 8.0?

SK
    Are you talking about 3D symbols? If so, you should be able to import 3D symbol files in .3ds, .skp, and .obj formats with Home Designer Suite version 8, but not 3D .dwg symbols directly.

Article Number 888: How to import a 3D symbol from an outside source

KraftMaid
    stuff can be found in Google's free online 3D Warehouse.
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    Home Designer Architectural 10
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

Where can I get 3D symbol files in .3ds, .skp, or .obj for Kraft Maid?

SK
    HD Suite 8.0

Quote Originally Posted by skmin
    Where can I get 3D symbol files in .3ds, .skp, and .obj for Kraft Maid?
    I posted the link to KraftMaid's section on Google's free online 3D Warehouse in my original reply, just click on the word KraftMaid and the link will take you there.

I also downloaded the free version of Google's SketchUp a while back so that I can edit things out of .skp symbols that I find on Google's 3D Warehouse. It looks like you can import .dwg files, so you might be able to import the existing Kraftmaid 3D dwgs that you have into SketchUp, save them into the .skp format, and then import the .skp into Suite? I'm afraid that I don't have any 3D .dwg files to test this on right now though. I may check out their website and see if this will work.
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

Update, I registered at KraftMaid's site and was able to download a couple of their 3D .dwg cabinets and then import them into SketchUp, save them as .skp files and import them into Architectural Home Designer without any problems.

However, it seemed like an awful lot of work to go through all that when I didn't see anything on their website that couldn't very quickly, and easily, be recreated with the existing Cabinet tools in the program by setting the drawers/doors, dimensions, and other features of the cabinets appropriately AND given the fact that KraftMaid already has their stuff in .skp format.
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

Hi Kat777 , having seen your 2 threads on the Kraftmaid coversions using Sketckup I have tried it myself but cant seem to open any of the files in HDS8 ? ( not AHD8) I get the same import error each time after trying to use a .skp file , so any other ideas? thanks .

just a thought do i need to save the file as a version 4 or 5 or 6 .skp rather than the latest version 7 .skp? how do you scale these .skp's cos of the few i was able to open of a 3ft wide x 34 " high cabinet HDS8 had ir as 500" deep and 468 " high

Thx.
    Last edited by Kbird; 12-04-2008 at 07:16 PM.
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5

think I found the problem, I will try saving them as V6 .SKPs instead and repost here with the results.

I did open the dwg in DWGSee and put a dimension on several sides and it appears to be right 31 inches wide etc.

seems like either sketckup7 is reading the Kraftmaid files as feet not inches or the KM DWG's are drawn wrong for some files , not sure . I f i can find an older Sketchup version might try that instead. The HDS8 cabinets are pretty good though for the cabinets part for my needs but I have played mostly to figure out how to use other DWG's in my drawings such as standard CAD Arch. details and thru sections etc but havent got that far to see if that will work also.
    thanks.
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5

Kat Can you do the 3D symbols import in ver. 7 ?
    Joe J
    PRO 10

Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Kat Can you do the 3D symbols import in ver. 7 ?
    Nope, it was a feature introduced in some of the version 8.0 software programs.

Suite version 8.0, Architectural Home Designer, and Home Designer Pro version 8.0 (and newer) can import symbols in .3ds, .obj and .skp formats. I think that Pro can even import 3D .dxf files, but only Chief Architect has the feature to import 3D .dwgs right now.
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7