Hybrid View

Laptop locks up in 3D views

After doing several searches I see that there are a lot of users who have the same type of problem from different points in this software. I only have Interior Designer so my system requirements aren't as high as others. Supposedly I need only 64MB of RAM, I have 256 installed, OS WinXPSP3, and 8GB of free memory. I read somewhere on the website that Mobility Radeon 7500 was recommended which I also have. So why am I locking up? It happens to me trying to get to a 3D camera view or if I get there, when I try to edit an object from that view. I don't know enough about the advance settings for my display properties to know what they mean or how to 'tweak' them. I also recently read that Open GL is the preferred settings, which I have. Any suggestions? Thanks

Try the low-res mode for rendering and see if that works.
    BH&G Pro Rev. 7.08
    Central SW Ontario, Canada
    -AMD AthlonX2 4400, 2GB, Win XP Pro
    -GeForce 8600GT
    -80GB Internal, 1TB External HDD

I built a house using this and am still find it Mickey Mouse quality.

My guess would be your available RAM. What I mean is that what you have using system RAM may surprise you, even if you have no applications open. If you open the TASK MANAGER, (right click on the task bar) and select PROCESSES. Look at the bottom right where is says PHYSICAL MEMORY. What percentage is in use. The remaining percentage of your total is available to the program. Does that percentage of the your total meet the minimum?

Hope that makes sense.
    Dave Pitman

HD Pro: 8 (Build 8.5.5.15)
    ..Vista Ultimate SP1
    --
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00 GHz
    --4 GB Ram
    --Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS Card

You memory is low.
    There are other things running at the same time.
    I would max it out.

The home versions do not have layers sets to turn things off,so they should need more memory.
    All the decorating things take a lot to render..

I had posted a link that will check your computer and recommend what to get..
    Cheap price too.
    Allen Colburn Jr.

Chief Architect XII
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Suite 8

Drafting for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Do you think his motherboard will handle more than 8 GigaBytes? Some information is not clear. Perhaps he meant virtual memory?

I would doubt the requirements for rendering are less for Interior Designer. The resolution is the same as other versions.

Tech Help sounds in order here. they can talk you through your system match.
    BH&G Pro Rev. 7.08
    -GeForce 8600GT

My read is that they have 256 MB Ram and 8 GB Hard drive space. If that's the case, they could quadruple their Ram for $50.
    Dave Pitman

..Vista Ultimate SP1
    --
    --4 GB Ram

Yes making your RAM over 256MB will increase your programme speed proportionally up to about 750MB then it tapers off somewhat.

Get a 1GB ram stick somewhere for about $30. Your O/S will love it anyway.
    BH&G Pro Rev. 7.08
    -GeForce 8600GT

Thanks for the responses. I will try your suggestions.

Right now the Task Manager Processes show PROCESSES 36, CPU USAGE 8-12%, COMMIT CHARGE 343872K/632342K, no PHYSICAL MEMORY label showing.

I don't know what you mean by 'virtual memory', the laptop has 20G hard drive of whick 8 GB is available 'free' space according to My Computer> Drive C> Properties.

Sorry, my directions apply to Vista.

In XP, open the TASK Manager, and select the PERFORMANCE tab. You will see a "Physical Memory (K)" box with "Total" and "Available" references.

Even if you see that more than 64 MB (64,000 K) is available, your not out of the woods yet. Leave the "Performance" window open and size it so that you can watch it as you use the BH&G program in the manner that causes it to crash. Does the available amount go way down?

If you're comfortable changing components on your Laptop, a new Ram chip of at least 1 GB (or 2-500 MB chips) will not cost very much and will improve all aspects of your computing, even if it turns out that you have enough free memory which I doubt.
    Last edited by NW Dave; 07-15-2008 at 02:37 PM.
    Dave Pitman

..Vista Ultimate SP1
    --
    --4 GB Ram