Thread: Pro 7 vs Pro 8

Hybrid View

Question Pro 7 vs Pro 8

I've been reading a lot of posts lately and noticing that many frequent contributors are using Pro 7 versions and haven't upgraded to Pro 8.

Would someone tell me in plain english what the major differences are OR direct me to where I might find them.

I'm not really looking for a printed list, but more of a users point of view.
    The questions are: Are there somethings that 7 can do that 8 can't? What things can 8 do that 7 can't?

In short, if you own pro7 is it worth spending the money for Pro 8?

I have somehow gained the perspective that it probably isn't just the money difference that makes folks stay with 7.
    KEN

HD Pro 2012, 9, 7
    Win XP Pro SP3
    Intel Dual core 3.4GHZ
    Ge Force 9400GT 1G vram
    4 G ram , 160 GB Sata 3 HD

Id be quite interested in this to. The list of changes on the comparison matrix doesn’t grab me particularly - the enhanced 3D editing might be useful but its not enough on its own. My thoughts are that at $100 it might be worth upgrading but at $200 it isn’t.

Perhaps some of those who have upgraded could let us know what their favourite updated features are.
    Pip
    HD Pro 2012

I upgraded when Pro 8 first came out, and I am afraid to admit I am still exploring the program and am only half way through the manual. I also suffer from not remembering whether certain features are part of Pro 7. Three things come to mind.

1. Pro 8 renders 3D views quicker that Pro 7.
    2. The cabinet tools allow you to edit shelves, both location and number. I use the cabinet tools to generate built-in entertainment centers and storage systems.
    3. Many more symbols are able to be used since Pro 8 will import Sketchup files.
    Don B.
    HD Pro 8 (Build 8.5.5.15)
    Windows XP Pro

You should try a search on this topic as there was a lot of discussion about it for a few months when Pro 8 first came out. By the way, when it first came out, the upgrade was only $100, $500 purchase followed by $400 rebate a month or two later.

As for differences that I remember, the increased speed to do a 3d rendering was very noticeable to me and that alone was worth the $100 (from enhanced programming). Other items include larger libraries, the option of drop down menus in place of Child buttons (either/or), there are different dispay option screens for 2d vs 3d (also electrical wiring is a different option than electrical items), you can select and alter items in 3d mode, when you open the program, building interior walls isn't already pre-selected (nothing is selected) and there are other things that escape me right now. I used Pro 7 for 18 months then switched to Pro 8 and am glad that I did.
    Phil
    HD Pro 8.0
    Windows XP

Those of us that have not moved up to Pro 8 it is probably a financial issue; as is everything else in life these days.

A majority of the kinks have been resolved as of now, and it is appearing to be worth the upgrading/purchase of Pro 8 at this time.

It may just be a preferance thing, but as for me I chose to hold off until after the kinks were resolved, and now I am just waiting for some spare cash to purchase; I may have missed out on the one opportunity to do this cheaply, but, unfortunately retirement money is spent on neccesities more than desires.
    Home Designer Pro 10

the 3D rendering is allot better, I now use the 3d side in presentation to Clients, the ability to print on larger paper sizes again for me when designing blocks of units triplexes etc is great. Overall now I have become more used to ver 8 Pro I find it easier to use than 7 Pro, but in 3d overheating on my laptop became an issue, a laptop cooling pad solved that problem. If you are just using 7 for your own use stay with it, If you design houses for a living like myself 8 is the better program. Some of my staff are still using pro 7, although they will make the change very soon.
    Last edited by Philz; 07-22-2008 at 05:17 PM.
    Phillip Smith
    Mt Gambier, Australia
    Business Development Manager/Design Consultant New Homes/Commercial, Lic Real Estate Agent, S.E. Region SA, W.E. region Vic, G.J.Gardner Homes

Acer Aspire 5520 Laptop, AMD 2.2 x2, 4gb mem, GeFroce 8600m GS 512mb graphics, Home Designer Pro build 8.5.5.15. Compaq Notebook 1.6 intel M, 1 gb ram, 128mb shared graphics, Home Designer Pro 7.08b

Thanks for all of your replies. It's very helpful to get a better understanding in this way. I'm going to be starting in Pro 7 and will see how I do and then make an upgrade decision later.

Ken
    KEN

HD Pro 2012, 9, 7
    Win XP Pro SP3
    Intel Dual core 3.4GHZ
    Ge Force 9400GT 1G vram

Good for you! You've certainly done some research and homework on this one.
    David
    HD Pro 7.08b
    (since Dec. '05)
    HD ver. 6 (briefly)
    Compaq Laptop
    w/Vista Home Prem.
    Designer / Songwriter
    Owner-Builder
    Engineer / Musician

... Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons . .

Ken made a very good decision. He purchased the Pro 7 I was selling. I hope he enjoys it as much as I did.

Good luck Ken...

My only hope is to be able to do roofs half as well as Rick!

Thanks Rick and thanks Dave for the kind comments. I guess everyone gets to be a NewBee once.

Ken
    KEN

HD Pro 2012, 9, 7
    Win XP Pro SP3
    Intel Dual core 3.4GHZ
    Ge Force 9400GT 1G vram