Thread: libraries

Question libraries

Hi.
    I read the post about libraries a bit further down ... I have a similar question.
    When I search for materials .. in Open Object (ctrl + E) or I search in the Library ... I have the same result. See first attachment : HomeDesignMaterials.
    But when I search in the explorer and go to the folder with textures, I can find so much more possible textures ... but with a ~in front of the name of the folder. See second attachment : HomeDesignMaterialsExplorer.
    Are those unreachable for use ? Or can I copy-paste those somewhere else ?

I installed some of the extra's but not all R available ?!?

Regards Luc

A question about jpg in another post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HomeDesignMaterials1small.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	7005   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HomeDesignMaterialsExplorer1small.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	7006  

LUC (RipVisitor)
    HD Suite 8 (so far )
    HD Pro 8 (just installed )
    XP Home Edition SP2
    Pentium 4 3.4 Ghz - 2 Gb Ram.

In version 8 products, program installed libraries reside under ...\Program Files\Chief Architect... directories. The user libraries now reside under My Documents or Documents depending on whether you have Vista or XP. The reason for the change is Windows Vista, at times, will take things under \Program Files which were not installed with the program (user libraries, plan files etc) and "Virtualize" them. I am quoting from Microsoft here:

"When a non-UAC-compliant administrative application attempts to write to a protected directory, such as Program Files, UAC gives the application its own virtualized view of the resource it is attempting to change, using a copy-on-write strategy. The virtualized copy is maintained under the user's profile. As a result, a separate copy of the virtualized file is created for each user that runs the non-compliant application.When a non-UAC-compliant administrative application attempts to write to a protected directory, such as Program Files, UAC gives the application its own virtualized view of the resource it is attempting to change, using a copy-on-write strategy. The virtualized copy is maintained under the user's profile. As a result, a separate copy of the virtualized file is created for each user that runs the non-compliant application."

The long and short of it we moved our storage location to circumvent any problems with having Vista create a copy of the file and us attempting to find it. I hope this helps.
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    Technical Support

is there a way to move the referenced files directory or the core libraries to another directory?

is there a way to move the referenced files directory or the core libraries to another directory?
    Sure, using "Windows Explorer" you can do anything you want BUT if you move them elsewhere than where they were programmed to be then they will no longer function or be available in your Library Browser.

Why would you want them located elsewhere than where they were designed to be please?

Debbie may or may not agree or she may have a different view being technically trained (I am merely a long-time user, many titles and versions).

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook