Question Custom Tile Layout

Hello!
    We are in the process of remodeling our kitchen and the suite has been very helpful as we have changed all aspects of the opriginal layout. My question has to do we tile layout.

I'm trying to decide
    1) what pattern of tiles to use (square or diagonal), and
    2) where to begin the layout to minimize cuts and fragments of tile.

So far in the tool I have found how to make a tile floor that is adjustable by tile size and color, but the only layout I've seen is square.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Tim

Home Designer Suite

Thank you everybody!!!
    This has been a lot of help....

Random or diagonal tile patterns

Is there any way to create diagonal or random tile patterns?
    K. Sipes
    Home Designer Suite 7.09

For random, I would look at the Mosaic tile options.

You can copy the Mosaic material, paste it into -My Materials and then use the Adjust Material Definition (in 3D views also often called the "rainbow" tool) to increase or decrease its size. You should also be able to rotate its angle so that it displays as diagonal in the Adjust Material Definition dialog.

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/...?faqNumber=863
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    Home Designer Architectural 10
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

Thanks Kat! Been trying to do that for a while!

Quote Originally Posted by Katalyst777
    For random, I would look at the Mosaic tile options.

You can copy the Mosaic material, paste it into -My Materials and then use the Adjust Material Definition (in 3D views also often called the "rainbow" tool) to increase or decrease its size. You should also be able to rotate its angle so that it displays as diagonal in the Adjust Material Definition dialog.
    Wow, I was going to post regarding this, and looking through the page 1 found this and your reply above. Great I'd been trying to do that for a while!

Nice results, especially on siding and wooden floor boards.

Lovely Kat Miaowow!

Wynter Myst
    2007 HDDeluxe 7
    2008 AHDesign 8
    http://mcdb.jimdo.com
    S - Windows XP, Vista

"Witchcraft does not work on this program "

Thank you. Worked great.
    suite 9.0

thanks for your help. I think I got it to work.

Question Custom tile has no grout lines?

I'm trying to figure out how to get the interior design tool to reflect the tile I imported as a tile (grout lines, etc) instead of one solid surface.

This was one of the main reasons I purchased the tool to allow us to test out different floor designs.

If you imported the tile with a grout line, then it will be there, and you can change the whole tile plus grout size, assuming that you imported it as a material.

If you just imported a tile, which has no grout lines, the program will not add them for you.
    Architectural Home Designer 9.0
    I'm limited by my video card, not my imagination...

Custom tile layouts

Is there anyway in H D Pro 2012 or X4 to create custom stone tile patterns in 3D without the software overriding my changes?

That is - even if i create 20 individual tile blocks I cannot place them on a wall in the pattern that I choose since the image/texture part of the software seems to determine how it wants the tile to look regardless of what i want or do to customize it.

Quote Originally Posted by AB1 View Post
    even if i create 20 individual tile blocks I cannot place them on a wall in the pattern that I choose since the image/texture part of the software seems to determine how it wants the tile to look regardless of what i want or do to customize it.
    There might be an easier way in X4, but at least in the Home Designer programs you can always just modify a tile material to be Stretch to Fit and apply it to a resized Closed Box shape (from the Library Browser) to create whatever type of tile patterns you want.

Each one of these 6" squares is a Closed box geometric shape with a single colored tile applied, where the tile material has Stretch to Fit selected.

Architectural (and Pro) will also let you create an Architectural Block out of these, and add the block to the Library Browser, which makes it nice if you have a configuration you want to use again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stretch to Fit.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	12161   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goomba.jpg 
Views:	480 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	12160  
    Last edited by Katalyst777; 03-07-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: added Stretch to Fit material screenshot
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

Customized shower tiles

I am trying to make a customized tile shower in suite. Similar to the picture attached. Any suggestions? I know how to put a tile wall but not customized.

Name:	tile-shower-424.jpg 
Views:	1048 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	12380  

You won't be able to do this using materials alone, although you can get pretty far following the instructions in this Help Database article.

Article Number 583: How to create a tiled bathroom

For anything additional custom like this, you'll want to use geometric shapes from the Library Browser, like the wedges, such as shown in the image below.

Name:	Custom Shower Tile.jpg 
Views:	539 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	12381  
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7