Hybrid View

I have a garage connected to a main house with a mud room and a porch in between (see images). Due to the different slopes of the garage roof and the porch, the gutter elevation ends up different and thus the mud room roof eave gets cut off. One solution I thought of was to lower the porch ceiling height, but for some reason when I do that it changes the floor elevation and will not lower the ceiling and roof. I even deleted all roof planes before doing this. Am I missing something simple?

Sorry forgot to say that I am using HD Pro 7.08a.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 1.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	7145   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 2.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	7146   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 3.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	7147   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 4.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	7148  
    sdeller
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a

sdeller, have you tried to manually adjust the mudroom's roof plane? Turn off Auto Rebuild Roof, click the roof plane to make it active, break the plane at the intersection with the porch roof, and adjust if so it goes straight from the garage to the porch. You may need to adjust the facia height to the level you want, either porch height or garafe height.

Do you want the garage to have a facia height lower than the porch? If not, raise your garage ceiling height the same distance you lowered the garage floor height.
    Last edited by don3211; 08-16-2008 at 11:55 AM.
    Don B.
    HD Pro 8 (Build 8.5.5.15)
    Windows XP Pro

Yes, I have tried that, but not being a roofing expert I have created multiple other roof problems. How do I manually adjust the eave heights on either roof? Also the other problem of not being able to adjust my ceiling height on the porch has my perplexed.
    sdeller
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a

First let me ask, what do you want, garage with lower facia height or with same facia height? What about the mud room roof facia height?

To answer your question, open the roof plane dbx, check the radio button for pith to lock that, then set the facia height.

Name:	sdeller facia height.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	7149  
    Last edited by don3211; 08-16-2008 at 12:07 PM.
    Don B.
    Windows XP Pro

Here's what I've done to emulate your problem. I have the main house and garage roof pitch at 10/12, the porch at 3/12, and the mud room at 8/12 (because of wierd things that generate at 10/12). The garage is the same level as the mud room and main house. What are your settings?

Name:	sdeller ext 1.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	7150  
    Don B.
    Windows XP Pro

My original desire was to have all three be equal. I know that I could continue the porch roof slope for a greater overhang to reach that elevation, but it is too far at this point. So I thought that I could raise the eave on the mud room and the garage closer to the porch elevation.
    sdeller
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a

Yes, I have the floor elevations of all three the same at "0". I was using a 9 pitch for the main house roof, 12 for the mud room and garage and 2 for the porch roof.
    sdeller
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a

Using the pitches you provided, if I set the garage pitch to 10/12 all lines up ok. I don't know how the difference between your plan's dimensions and those I am using may affect this. If you want, send me your plan - check your private messages for my e-mail address.
    Don B.
    Windows XP Pro

Check your e-mail. I think I got things solved.

Steve, if you follow the roof specs I e-mailed and view your room above the garage, you'll see the condition shown in the first attachmment. You need to move the knee wall in a bit or lower the mud room roof pitch. If you want to move the wall in, do you know about the Move Plane Up ONe Level option? See the second attachment. Open the roof plane dbx and check the box (I show in the attachment the box from the second floor where you'd check it to move it back down). With the roof plane on the upper level, you can move the wall until it snaps to the roof plane.

Name:	sdeller finished.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	166.3 KB 
ID:	7152   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sdeller finished 1.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	7153   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sdeller finished 2.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	167.5 KB 
ID:	7154  
    Don B.
    Windows XP Pro

Don, thanks a bunch, your procedure worked out great. For now, I just moved the wall to cover that peak, but when I actually build the house I can slide that wall back and drywall across the peak.
    sdeller
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a

Steve, there is an sloped soffit that you might be able to use now to cover that gap.
    Don B.
    Windows XP Pro