2nd Story and Attic Space

I have a pretty complex plan that includes a full second story and a series of attic rooms over the garages. I drew the plan originally with all the attic rooms and all the upstairs rooms laid out, but when I go to do an auto roof, the auto roof ends up to be much more complex than what is on my architects drawings. I have more roof lines than are needed.

So my question is. When dealing with rooms over the garages and "bonus" rooms, especially ones that have lower floors, do you lay them out upstairs as they are drawn on the architects plans, or do you not draw them at all and let the software automatically generate the attic space for these and then go in and lay out the room and lower and raise the rooms as needed? I haven't been able to get a best practice on this. My roof have a bunch of gables and a good deal of pitches that all need to get tied in.

Thanks.

-Joe Kasko
    Home Designer Pro 8.0

Quote Originally Posted by jkasko
    draw them at all and let the software automatically generate the attic space for these and then go in and lay out the room and lower and raise the rooms as needed?
    Roof Pitches help a whole lot; that way you can keep room heights.
    Home Designer Pro 10

Joe, by attic rooms do you mean finished rooms with ceilings sloped to match the roof pitch? Go to the HD software website and search the help database. Here is an example.

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/...?faqNumber=358

If that is what you are trying to achieve, give it a shot and come back to this forum with problems you encounter and we'll try to help.
    Don B.
    HD Pro 8 (Build 8.5.5.15)
    Windows XP Pro

Cool DB Article 358

Please refer to my Clipped Ceiling post of 20OCT8. To resolve this task I have tried using the technique described in Cape Cod DB article 358 but can't get the ceiling height to work on floor 2. I am using AHD8 which has a default checkbox, not (D) in the text.
    Peter
    Melbourne Australia
    Last edited by grenouillaise; 10-19-2008 at 08:06 PM.