Thread: Red Cabinets?

Hybrid View

Exclamation Red Cabinets?

Has anyone seen a rendering problem like this (see attached picture). This happens frequently and the only way I've found to remove it is delete and replace the cabinet. Any insight is appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BadRender.jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	315  

Several of the recent threads have discussed weirdness with cabinets and the cause. It seems there is a software problem that crops up if a user edits an object in a 3D view and then hits undo. They will be releasing updates as soon as they have it all figured out and tested. In the meantime, they advise not to hit undo after editing an object in a 3D view.

If you have something else going on, I would suggest posting a few more details, including which software you have and the version number.
    Last edited by RootFarm; 04-02-2006 at 06:07 PM.

I used undo early on in the layout but not before this rendering. It's a problem if undo was EVER used in the plan? I'll consider undo off limits until another update.

I'm running HD Deluxe 7.07b.

I've never experienced the problem myself, but it is my understanding that once 3D undo hoses a cabinet, the only way to fix it is to delete the cabinet from the drawing and place a new one. I imagine they are working pretty hard on a fix for the problem and will soon make an update available.

If this is related to undo, it is undo used anywhere in a plan at any time, not only when undoing in 3D mode. Extremely frustrating. Hope the fix is coming soon. Does the same problem exist in Pro?

My understanding is it happens only when a cabinet detail is modified in 3D mode followed by an undo operation on that cabinet while still in 3D. I use Pro, and as I indicated, it has never happened to me, but it may be simply because I have been lucky.

BTW, I save to a new file name frequently, so that I have a series of built in backups -- just in case. For example, if I were to start a new plan called NewDesign3.plan, as soon as I had any significant amount of work in it, I would do a Save followed by a Save As NewDesign3A.plan. After further changes, I would Save again, then Save As NewDesign3B.plan or perhaps NewDesign3A2.plan. I do this frequently during the day and every time I make any sort of major change.

At the end of the day, I copy the last saved plan file to a USB thumb drive as an extra precaution. I don't copy the archive folders, only the plan file.
    Last edited by RootFarm; 04-03-2006 at 01:54 AM.

I reproduced the problem as follows.

1. Create a simple square floor plan.
    2. Switch to 3D view and place kitchen cabinets, range, dishwasher, sink. Some deletions but never an 'undo'.
    3. Switch to plan view and added one window and interior walls (I added 4).
    4. Undo the last interior wall addition.
    5. Generate a Full Overview rendering.

In the full overview and from that point on, the cabinets are rendered improperly.

Sounds like another way to reproduce the problem. Anytime you see a red material it means that no material has been applied - we make it red because it is more likely not to be a color that you would have chosen than perhaps some other colors.

What happens here is that when you place a cabinet in a render view that has non default door styles and subsequently use undo or save and reopen a plan the symbols are not mapped correctly.
    Dan Park
    Customer Support Manager
    Chief Architect, Inc

Thanks for the explanation. If someone complains that you use red, I think we should all get to see the design :-)

I'm upgrading to Pro (purchased today). Are there any rendering issues to worry about there? My system has a ATI RADEON 8500 card which is somewhat dated. Any reason it would be a problem?

Thanks.

It shouldn't be. I use a Radeon 7500 and a Radeon Mobility 9700 with no real rendering problems so far, and none attributable to the ATI cards.

Exclamation Render problem in Pro 7.06 too

I upgraded from Deluxe to Pro and am running 7.06. I layed out a kitchen and everything rendered fine. I HAVE used undo in 3D mode because I read that the rendering issue did not exist in Pro. Initially, everything seemed to render properly even after the undo's.

I then deleted a stand-alone island (the L-Step Island under Architectural Blocks) and started rebuilding it with new cabinets. I changed a few cabinet settings on a corner cab (flat back, rounded). I'm trying to figure out how to get 45 degree corners to use on this island.

I grab a camera and render the changed cabinet and got the big red doors again. Removed the custom corner cab but they're still there. Guess I have to redo this kitchen too. Picture attached.

Please let me know if you need anything more from me to help diagnose this if it is indeed new.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ProRenderProb.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	328  
    Last edited by FrankB; 04-07-2006 at 04:28 PM.

Exclamation

Now it is starting to piss me off.

I deleted the cabinets until all red doors were gone. Did this in 3D view. I then placed new cabinets and recreated the kitchen. Again in 3D view. This time, no changes were made to the island so it's obviously not involved. I saved a copy of the plan as a backup while I was looking at the properly rendered kitchen.

I closed the new plan (created with Save As) and opened the original. I did a dollhouse rendering of the main floor and the red doors are back. I closed the plan and opened the one I created with Save As (remember, this was saved while I was looking at a good rendering of the kitchen) and this time used a camera to render the kitchen. Red Doors again.

The plan is too big to attach (even zipped). Let me know if you need it and I can email or FTP.

Incidentally, after this occurs, when I close Pro, it generates one of the Microsoft dialogs you see when something crashes asking if I want to send process data to Microsoft.
    Last edited by FrankB; 04-07-2006 at 05:02 PM.

Frank,
    Did you see this thread.
    Updates
    Maybe the updates will cure your problem.

Sorry I just noticed that you had upgraded to Pro so this probably won't help.
    Kerry
    Last edited by kfullington; 04-08-2006 at 04:11 AM.

These updates are not for HD Pro.

I had not seen any reports on this in PRO 7 - mostly interiors and deluxe. I can confirm the problem does exists in PRO 7 and in Chief Architect also. We normally release Chief updates first then we prioritize the order of subsequent updates based on the type and number of reports we recieve. We will be releasing an update for PRO 7 soon.

We will be making the Update for Interiors and Deluxe available for everyone shortly.

Watch this forum for the announcement of the release of any updates. You should see them here a few days earlier than anywhere else.
    Dan Park
    Customer Support Manager
    Chief Architect, Inc