Hybrid View

Question F.R.O.G. - Family Roof Over Garage?

Looking forward to the weekend so I can spend more time designing my home! I've had a few frustrating moments since I've never used design software before, but I've worked most of it out and having a lot of fun with it.

So before I make a total disaster....my room over the garage came out sunken just as it's suppose to be, phew!! My garage is set at 0" with walls at 100", my first floor is set at 12" with the walls set at 108". I was so surprised when I finished the second floor walls and I had a sunken room, yippee! Now for my problem My second floor walls are 96" except for this room. As with most f.r.o.g.s, it has a cathedral ceiling (those walls being appx 120") and the side walls (appx 60"). One of the cathedral ceiling walls and one of the side walls are exterior, the other ceiling and side wall are interior. The two side walls also have a short door to get into the attic space on each side. The attic space on the exterior side is appx 54" wide and the roof slops down to second floor level. However, in the interior attic space on the other side wall the roof slopes down to floor level only half way down the wall. Any guidance you can give me is appreciated. Keep in mind, I haven't done one thing to the walls, they are all presently at 96". I'm guessing I can't have solid railings as exterior walls .

Thank you,
    Sandra

Back in a day when they became popular the room over the garage was called a frog, Family Room Over Garage. Since most did not have closets and the side walls were 4' or less, they could not be considered bedrooms. Now their designs are numerous and mine is actually considered a bedroom because it has a closet and the side walls are over the required height. My room however is actually my computer room and craft room, I do a lot of woodworking projects.

Sandra

The story and a half online article says that it works for a bonus room over garage.

Article Number 358: How to build a one and a half story roof automatically

Also take a look at . . .

Article Number 904: How to create a bonus room above a garage

Article Number 210: How do I use "Open Below" to define an opening to a lower floor such as for a loft?
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    Home Designer Architectural 10
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

Thank you Kat! I was looking around in these articles yesterday but had not run across these yet. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

I seriously debated getting Pro instead of Suite, but I figured it might be more features than I really needed (I don't need the framing tools, etc.), but I have one heck of an interesting roof line.

I took a break from building walls last night and put a hardwood floor in one of the rooms. At least the weekend is here and I'll have more time for viewing tutorials etc.

Thank you
    Sandra