Selecting items & cabinet missing base

Using HDS8, I've built several closets out of partitions and shelves that I can copy and paste into other designs, as needed. I'm disappointed that there's no way to make them into an architectural block, so I have to make size adjustments to each individual part in every design instead of sizing the entire object.

The problem I'm struggling with is that often I need to copy and paste just one part of the closet into another area. As an example, in the attached #1 I drew the wardrobe lifts in the top of the closet out of several cylinders. Sometimes that's all I need.

I can't select just those parts in Floor plan view because 1) I can't see them and 2) I end up grabbing other items, or missing some. I can't seem to use the 'select similar objects' way either (ie: the way 'select' only select walls if the wall tool is active). I've tried that by highlighting 'cylinders' in the library, but I still get everything inside the marquee.

Is there a way to select them in a front view other than having to select each item one at a time? It's tough to know if I've grabbed all the parts when I do it one by one. Sometimes I miss the small ones because of the way the marquee grows as you select items.

Second question - Every time I draw a base cabinet then delete the door so I have an open front cabinet with shelves, the cabinet loses it's base...ie: you can see the actual floor material (see attached #2). The cabinet is set on the floor (0" to bottom). I can build a box beneath it to solve the problem but am curious if anyone knows why this is happening.

Thanks,
    Carol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Peacock Residence MDF with shadows.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	7533   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cab missing base.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	7534  

Hi, Carol

I don't have your version, so some of this may not work for you...

I can't select just those parts in Floor plan view because 1) I can't see them and 2) I end up grabbing other items, or missing some.
    Using "select objects" (the arrow), draw a marquee around the cabinet. Then hold down the shift key and click on the cabinet. This will un-select the cabinet. Note that the message in the first pic says " 3 objects currently selected".

In the render view you can see that the 3 bars were place directly one above the other and are the same size. This shows that you can select all objects in plan view even if they're at different heights or completely hidden. This makes selecting in an elevation view unnecessary.

You can move and rotate the group, but unfortunately, you can't re-size this way.

Another technique is to turn off all cabinet layers in Layer Display, but I'm not sure if you have this feature.

Hope this helps.

Name:	Select Objects.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	7538   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cabinet.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	7539  
    Doug S.

HD Pro 9 (Build 9.6.1.1)
    Sketchup 7
    Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Doug - Thanks, but since I built the closets out of partitions and not a cabinet, I can't "ungrab" the cabinet. In the closet world, closets don't have backs. Perhaps there's a way to remove the back of a cabinet in HD S8?

Carol
    Carol K.
    HD Suite 8

Quote Originally Posted by gardendiva
    Doug - Thanks, but since I built the closets out of partitions and not a cabinet, I can't "ungrab" the cabinet. In the closet world, closets don't have backs. Perhaps there's a way to remove the back of a cabinet in HD S8?

Carol
    Oops. Should have read more carefully.

OK, plan B. Do you have Layer Display Options (Tools>Display Settings...)? If so, do you have a layer for partitions and shelves as shown in the attached pic? Uncheck display for this layer while in plan view then you can select what's left as described before.

Another thought: your version of HD can import Sketchup files. Have you explored this site yet?
    http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/

Name:	Display Options2.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	7552  
    Doug S.

HD Pro 9 (Build 9.6.1.1)
    Sketchup 7
    Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Doug - That did it. Great!

Do you know if you can delete a cabinet back? I haven't found it yet if you can, but was thinking there might be a way since I still have no idea why my other issue has to do with the base of the cabinet missing. If one area can be deleted, why not the back?

I've tried Sketchup, but it wasn't as easy to catch onto as I had hoped. It seems to have quite a learning curve, that's why I went to HDS8. But I appreciate knowing that, for future reference.

Thanks!
    Last edited by gardendiva; 10-27-2008 at 06:19 AM.
    Carol K.
    HD Suite 8

Do you know if you can delete a cabinet back? I haven't found it yet if you can, but was thinking there might be a way since I still have no idea why my other issue has to do with the base of the cabinet missing. If one area can be deleted, why not the back?
    I can delete the back - but this option may not be available in your version. In the cabinet dbx , Front tab (see pic #1), under Options, check "doors on back", select a Face Item and in Item Type select "opening". Both front and back will be deleted.

As to why the base of the cabinet is missing I have no idea. I can't duplicate the effect. Hopefully someone else here can help with that?

Name:	Cab dbx.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	7553   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cab open back.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	7554  
    Doug S.

HD Pro 9 (Build 9.6.1.1)
    Sketchup 7
    Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Doug - Don't have that option in HDS8, but it would work great for what I need. The more I design in HDS8, the more I keep thinking I should've gone with Pro instead.

I'm also having several issues with HDS8 - don't know if it's conflict with XP Media or if it's just buggy.

I've only had HDS8 for a week or two. Wonder if I could upgrade for a small price? I might need to check that out.

In any event, I'm gonna check with Tech Support regarding the missing base and will post any answer I get for future reference.

Thanks again. I really appreciate everyone being so helpful.
    Carol K.
    HD Suite 8

I've only had HDS8 for a week or two. Wonder if I could upgrade for a small price? I might need to check that out.
    Hi gardendiva, I'm with the sales department at Chief Architect, Inc. - the makers of Home Designer software products.

You do have a 30 day money-back guarantee on your purchase if you'd like to return it and obtain a different title. Just call us at (800)805-0374 and we can arrange for you to get the product that works best for your needs.

Mark
    Chief Architect Sales
    mark@chiefarchitect.com