Cannot import .dwf file from Pella

I went to the Pella website and found my sliding glass door model I downloaded first .DWF and then after the error below I tried .DWG and a different method to get success.

MS Vista gave me the question, "search for a program to open this", so I searched and found HDP 8.0 and the program auto opened, but when it tried to open the file, I get this error message:

.\source\FrameWind.cpp(1387): Warning #272001021
    "Unsupported file type for this view. Cannot import the file
    "C:\Users\Scott.Scott-PC\AppData\Local\Temp\TS10VPSVFTRANE_D.dxf"."
    10/21/2008 11:58:37 AM
    Build: 8.5.5.15

I then tried import them as .DWG, using the import tool on HDP 8.0, but this time I opened the software first and clicked Import from file menu in a new plan.

Anyone want to suggest an easier way? I would have much preferred to download directly without opening and "importing" rather just save all the files to a folder and pick the ones I want later, but maybe that's just my inexperience with the software?

Maybe I did it wrong, but it seems to me the software should already open up and automatically go to import mode. It seemed quite time consuming and convoluted to click open with DHP 8.0 and have it error message on me.

So now I guess just save and dont try to open at the same time? Any comments? Especially what happened with that error message, what did I do wrong, and can I get HDP8 to open automatically and import when I want a drawing off the web. Forgive my nooby experience with the software yet, maybe its a feature I didnt get too yet. Only 30 days to learn all this stuff is not enough!

One more question, another manufacturer has shingle drawing in .eps or postscript, how do i import/convert manipulate this to cover my rendering with it. Its drawn at an angle, I'd like to rotate it and use as a covering element or object.

No existing Home Designer (or other Chief Architect Inc software) software is configured to directly import .dwf files at all what so ever.

Home Designer Pro will import (using the import tool: File - Import) .dxf files.

No other AutoCAD file output files will import until they are converted from .dwg or .dwf to .dxf.

There is no other way.

I do not have AutoCAD so I cannot help you but perhaps someone who does here would be willing to help with the conversion from .dwf to .dxf. If no one who posts here can help you might ask at the "Chief Talk" forum as many Chief Architect users also use or used to use AutoCAD and it is simple and easy to do provided you have AutoCAD software.

.eps is a bitmap image file which must be converted to .bmp, .jpg, .png type image file in a program like Photo Shop, Corel Draw, Fireworks, Paint Shop Pro where it can also be stretched as an image file. Then it can be imported into Home Designer or Chief Architect software but not until as .eps is not a supported file extension.

What software do you own and use? Anything is time consuming and convoluted until it is well understood by the end user.

Many brands of windows can be emulated without importing anything in Home Designer software's Window Tools, especially Pro 8.

DJP
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 10-21-2008 at 10:51 AM.

Hi,
    I'm new on this forum, and just upgraded to hdpro8from suite 8. I don't have to much experience with this software yet.

I had a similar problem as yours when I was trying to import detail drawings that had a .DWG format.

The program that I have is Autosketch, and you can convert a .DWF, .DWG, .DXF and others to .DXF file. You use this program to open the file than save as .DXF file, than use the import on HD.

Woks great for me, and now I have details available.

Maybe this helps you, or I'm off subject.

Sam