Hybrid View

Condo and Apartment Interior Design help

So I live in Boston, and am looking into a new apartment or condo. I have tried really hard to find out if Better Homes and Gardens Home Designer Suite 8.0 has a design feature so that you can figure out different layouts for apartments or condos, but have had no luck. I found one program on amazon.com that is designed for apartments and condos, but it got really poor ratings so I am not going to touch that.

So to my question, I would like to get BHG 8.0 because I eventually would like to get a house, and I enjoy architecture and think it would be fun to have a program where I could design my dream house, as well as landscape. But I want to know is if this program can be used for an apartment or condo in a high rise? I assume you could make the condo or apartment using the same dimensions, and design the interior accordingly, and it probably wouldn't make a difference, but I was wondering if it has a feature where your front door is in a hallway on the 18th floor of a building and not somewhere in the suburbs.

I know I could buy the interior designer, but I have no interest in that because I want to experiment on houses, but if it has a condo feature I would definitely get this program. Also is there anyone else out there in my similar situation who wanted to experiment with a preset interior, whether it be changing walls, or seeing how a couch would fit?

I guess I should clarify, I don't need it necessarily show every floor of the building. More what I want to do is say I have a 700 square foot apt on the 18th floor. I would want to be able to interior decorate to see what kind of furniture would fit and look good in that apartment, and also if it was a condo experiement with different wall configurations based on the original footprint of that 700 sq/ft condo. Because obviously with a condo in a building like that you couldn't go outside the footprint because you would go into your neighbors residence, or the main hallway, or extend into space that overhangs the street below.

I assume I could take the footprint of the example I said above and probably make it into a house, and just focus on the interior, and pretend like that was the condo or apartment, but I was just curious if they had an option where you could input something into the program with such information as 18th floor, and is a highrise. and you could also include the terrace if it had one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rico
    That is helpful, but I guess I should clarify, I don't need it necessarily show every floor of the building. More what I want to do is say I have a 700 square foot apt on the 18th floor. I would want to be able to interior decorate to see what kind of furniture would fit and look good in that apartment, and also if it was a condo experiement with different wall configurations based on the original footprint of that 700 sq/ft condo. Because obviously with a condo in a building like that you couldn't go outside the footprint because you would go into your neighbors residence, or the main hallway, or extend into space that overhangs the street below.

I assume I could take the footprint of the example I said above and probably make it into a house, and just focus on the interior, and pretend like that was the condo or apartment, but I was just curious if they had an option where you could input something into the program with such information as 18th floor, and is a highrise. and you could also include the terrace if it had one.
    I don't see how just creating an apartment in the software would really be any different than creating a house, but you might want to change the background to be something a little more appropriate than a grassy green lawn. A lot of people only want a remodel a single room, like their kitchen or bath, so that is all they use the software for. I don't think modeling an apartment really has any unique challenges other than the exterior view? You could always create a hallway outside of the front door with it open if you for some reason wanted a view looking in from the hallway at the apartment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Apartment.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	7582  
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    Home Designer Architectural 10
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

Quote Originally Posted by Katalyst777
    I don't see how just creating an apartment in the software would really be any different than creating a house, but you might want to change the background to be something a little more appropriate than a grassy green lawn. A lot of people only want a remodel a single room, like their kitchen or bath, so that is all they use the software for. I don't think modeling an apartment really has any unique challenges other than the exterior view? You could always create a hallway outside of the front door with it open if you for some reason wanted a view looking in from the hallway at the apartment.
    Agreed, the only main differences I was thinking would affect it aside from the obvious exterior, would be the roof, because there would be another apartment above you, and your entrance because you would most likely be exiting out into a hallway to take an elevator to the lobby.

I had pretty much assumed the things you had said, but was just curious if you could somehow set it up in the program to say it is an apartment, and not a single family home. Because from what I have seen so far from the research I have done, you can only do single family homes with BHG 8.0. I am kinda surprised they don't add that feature, I feel like it wouldn't really be very difficult to include that feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Rico
    Agreed, the only main differences I was thinking would affect it aside from the obvious exterior, would be the roof, because there would be another apartment above you, and your entrance because you would most likely be exiting out into a hallway to take an elevator to the lobby.

I had pretty much assumed the things you had said, but was just curious if you could somehow set it up in the program to say it is an apartment, and not a single family home. Because from what I have seen so far from the research I have done, you can only do single family homes with BHG 8.0. I am kinda surprised they don't add that feature, I feel like it wouldn't really be very difficult to include that feature.
    Hi Rico.

Aside from Landscaping and Deck Designer, all of our Home Designer software products are capable of modeling a highrise apartment/condo floorplan. Give our Sales department a call to discuss your individual needs: (800)805-0374. Thanks...

-mark
    Chief Architect Sales
    mark@chiefarchitect.com