Where Did My Second Floor Go??

Hello,

I am using Home Designer Suite 6.0 and have gotten pretty far along with it. Unfortunately, my computer choked and performed an illegal operation. I had to shut down the computer without the ability to save my work. When I went back into the program and opened my file, my entire second floor was missing except the outer walls. All interior walls and furnishings are gone. I tried to open it with a backup file, but that was no help either.

Any ideas???

Steven

If your computer crashed while you were editing a plan it is very likely the plan did not get saved.

Make sure to do some diagnostics on your computer before contiunuing as the crash may leave files in a bad state. Also make sure you have the latest updates to our software and the latest updated video drivers for your computer.
    Dan Park
    Customer Support Manager
    Chief Architect, Inc

I would have thought this too. However, I had been working on the second floor for quite some time now. It has been saved many times, but for some reason, none of the information of the interior of the second floor seems to exist anymore. Its as if it wiped off the second floor and decided to start again with only the exterior and roof.

Chances are the second floor file got corrupted. Sometimes Windows caches file saves and does not write them to disk for a while. If this was the case it is possible the data was lost even though you attempted a save.

Since the first floor and second floors are two separate files it is possible the first floor got saved while the second did not.

It is not common to see something like this happen unless there is some sort of a system problem. I suspect from the error message you are using Windows 98 or ME. Older operating systems are not as robust as the newer ones.
    Dan Park
    Customer Support Manager
    Chief Architect, Inc