Thread: Shaped windows

Shaped windows

I understand Pro has the ability to customize window shapes, but that's not an option in Suite. Home Designer Suite does not have any options for window shapes other than rectangular or the preinstalled set under "Windows" which does not include any windows without muntins and doesn't include many shapes.

Is there any way to build windows in Home Designer Suite that are not rectangular, such as triangular windows as shown in the picture below? I've tried using geometric shapes, setting the materials to "Glass" and embedding them in walls but alas, that does not work!

Barring that, does anyone have any idea why the Marvin Doors add-ons from the Chief website will install in Home Designer, but the Marvin Windows will not? I'll bet that set has some of what I need.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	windows.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	1629  

Your house is a very interesting design--that's the one with the tower, right?

If Suite doesn't have the shaped window option, then I think you may be ... about to make a major software purchase.

All kidding aside, can you modify an existing wall, changing its layers and materials? If so, this would allow you to make a wall of glass. Then just model in some sash, muntins, etc. If you can't do this, then I am out of ideas.
    John Horst aka "Coogan"
    Columbus, OH
    HDP 7.08a (I guess!)
    RLAEnterprises.net/HouseDesigns
    "Nothing is impossible for the guy who doesn't have to do it"

Yes, it's the same house. It's a great design that I am trying to model so that I can try out some changes and eventually go back to the design company that originally created the plan and say "These are the changes I want" after trying them out! And trying to get it right is fun practice- most of the time

I like the "glass wall" idea- I'll try it!

As for major software purchasing... first I have to convince my husband that it might save $$$ in architectural design fees

Quote Originally Posted by crisw
    As for major software purchasing... first I have to convince my husband that it might save $$$ in architectural design fees
    You might get opinions from some of the architects who frequent this site. But it isn't only the savings, it's the "do it yourself" mindset and satisfaction that you did the design "yourself".

Depending on the locale, you may or may not need an architect and/or engineer. Certainly you would want someone qualified to look your plan over just to make sure you haven't specified something that can't be built, or can't be built cheaply.

My gut feeling is that $500 is a very small price to pay for being able to visualize your dream home. But that's my opinion; I could be wrong.
    John Horst aka "Coogan"
    Columbus, OH
    HDP 7.08a (I guess!)
    RLAEnterprises.net/HouseDesigns
    "Nothing is impossible for the guy who doesn't have to do it"

Just in case I gave the wrong impression- I certainly don't intend to do the plans myself- we will be working with an architect! But I know a huge time-waster in planning is trying to make changes after the design has been finalized- I want to be very sure of what I want before we sit down at the planning table

Well, the "glass wall" idea worked! I needed to change both the second floor wall and the attic wall to a different type- I used Stucco 6- then to glass. This is just a file I was playing with to try it out.

The only problem is that a gap is created between where the attic floor was and the second floor (you can see it just above the horizontal log) but I can live with that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	windows.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	1653