Kitchen design questions

I am wondering if it's possible in Suite 7.0 to: make the entire space between the countertop and upper cabinets a full (tiled) backsplash, put a single wall oven in a base cabinet (similar to the way a dishwasher goes in) and put crown molding at the top of the wall cabinets?

Hi Raven,

I don't have Suite, but I'm pretty sure the answers to your questions are Yes, No, and Yes.

Yes you can make a completely tiled backsplash by setting the backsplash height and materials on either the top or bottom cabinets.

No, you can't put a wall oven in a base cabinet without a lot of funny stuff (smushing things together and setting various materials to invisible). You can't even do that in Pro. :mad: You might be able to put it in a full-height cabinet and then set the height to regular base cabinet height. But I don't think it has the countertop and backsplash if you do it that way.

Yes, you can put crown molding at the top of cabinets IF you put a soffit above your cabinet. Molding sticks to soffits.

Hope that was helpful!
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 X5 X4 X3 X2 -- Thea Render
    www.castleview3d.com
    Email: kathleen.moore@castleview3d.com
    Blog: "Life Should Be 3D"
    Follow CastleView 3D on Facebook or Houzz

Just finished playing around with converting a full size cabinet into standard size base cabinet with wall oven included.

CAVEAT - THIS CONVERSION IS THROUGH HDPRO NOT SUITE - THEREFORE, THIS APPROACH MAY NOT WORK FOR YOUR PARTICULAR BHG APPLICATION -

1. Place full size cabinet where you want.
    2. Select either of the two single oven and click on cabinet to "drop" into place.
    3. Open up cabinet dialog box.
    4. Click on top door and click delete, repeat with bottom door.
    5. Return to general tab and change height from 86 to 36 inches.

View your results.

Issues: Backsplash - there is no backsplash in full wall cabinet view.

Solution: Place a 24 inch x 40 inch x 3/4 inch SOFFIT behind wall cabinet. Note: standard base cabinet is 36 inches, backsplash is 4 inches = 40 inch tall soffit.

Issue: Top of all wall and full height cabinets do not include countertops like base cabinets do.

Solution: Place another soffit on top of full height wall cabinet to obtain create a countertop. Measurements for a base cabinet countertop is 24 x 24 x 1 1/12 inches.

In regards to backsplash between base and upper wall cabinet: in HDPro it allows for user to select from the wall cabinet an option to set "backsplash to base below". Thereby eliminating need to calculate base cabinet backsplash height from the base cabinet. This feature may not be available in Suite and you will need to calculate this backsplash height. Note: general height between base and upper is 30 inches. Base is 36 inch and wall is placed at 54 inches from floor.

Hope this clarifies some of your issues.
    Home Designer Pro 10

Another way to solve the problem of your full height cabinet not having a counter top or backsplash is to put a base cabinet on top of it. Just make your full height cabinet 1 1/2" shorter and then make a base cabinet only 1 1/2" high. Then move the base cabinet so that it sits right on top of the full height with your oven.

Wow, Kilgore! I totally overlooked that option. Managed to work out the rest by going back and forth between post and program to make sure that I worded the solutions correctly.

Personally, if I had to make a choice between the soffit method and the base cabinet method - - I would take the base cabinet method. You would not have to be worrying about readjusting everything if you move your objects about.
    Home Designer Pro 10

a combo of the solutions is the ficket
    "Bobby"
    Better Homes & Gardens Home Designer Suite 7.09
    Better Homes & Gardens Home Designer Basic 6.04
    You Learn Something New Every Day!