Island Cabinets w/Doors on 2 sides

I am designing an Island in the kitchen and I would like to have doors on 2 sides (Front and Right). Is there an easy way to do this, or do I have to draw 2 cabinets, one with like 1" depth?

Thanks in advance, and Happy Holidays

Oops, wrong thumbnail...it's the left cabinet on the island I'm trying to get the "fake" doors on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Island.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	3297  
    Mike
    HD Pro 7.08
    HD Deluxe 7.08

Semper Fi

Hi Mike,

I think you are on the right track. I have tried to create what I think you have posted. My island width is 4' but should be similar.

As I see it there are a few problems. (see capture0)

What about the toe kick? (see 2nd capture) If you make the "counter" 3" deep then go into camera view and raise the bottom up 4" it may work. (see last thumbnail)

I don't think you will be able to get the countertop overhang on the width of the "left end" cabinet (see 3rd thumbnail) to match the other base cabinets counter-top overhang unless you can create "custom counter-tops". (see capture 4) I don't know if you can make custom counter-tops in HD Deluxe.

If you can delete the counter-top you might be able to make a counter-top from a "Slab" or a "Soffit".

I'm certain other members will be able to help you a lot more with this.

Good luck and Happy Holidays to you also.

(I lived in your neck of the woods from 1977 to 1990. Boy, I bet it's changed.)

Name:	Capture0.JPG 
Views:	238 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	3300   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture1.JPG 
Views:	248 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	3301   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base cab front.JPG 
Views:	227 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	3303   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.JPG 
Views:	250 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	3304   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	modified.JPG 
Views:	246 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	3305  

Last edited by daydreamer; 12-20-2007 at 02:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daydreamer
    Hi Mike,

You won't be able to get the countertop overhang to match the other cabinets unless you can create "custom counter-tops". Can you do that in HD Deluxe. I suppose you could delete the countertop and make one from a "slab" or a Soffit.
    One little trick that I learned is that you can take a base cabinet, and "shrink" the base to the point where only the counter top is remaining. You are not deleting the cabinet itself, you are just hiding the cabinet.

Also, if you program allows for a shelf, you could align the shelf up against the island; the shelf icon is located under cabinet tool tab/icon.

But in regards to your original question; it appears in your rendention that you have placed a base cabinet at the end of the island, which would mean that the doors are facing the opposite direction.

Would it bother you if we were to ask for three additional pics of your island? I would like to see the full island as well as the end section.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Deirdre; 12-19-2007 at 04:18 PM.
    Home Designer Pro 10

Just revisited your pic; going to replicate it and see if a better solution with actual numbers will be of help to you.

Be back in awhile.
    Home Designer Pro 10

Possible Resolution

Okay, I am not sure if this is what you are trying to achieve, but I worked this out as best as I could for you.

1. Base cabinet, with doors, have had the overhang changed to 1/8 inch and the toe kick depth changed to zero, but maintained the 4 inch height.

2. I added some edge molding to the counter top to provide a clean look.

The pictures attached shows the problem view from one side and the resolution view from the other.

Hope this is what you are seeking, but, if you are seeking to place a cabinet door on the sides of the end base cabinet, that is a different story in itself.
    Last edited by Deirdre; 04-06-2008 at 06:19 PM.
    Home Designer Pro 10

this one is from using a base cabinet shrunk to 1 inch depth. You will have to play with the width numbers to get it to work. It is not perfect but it is the best that I can come up with.
    Last edited by Deirdre; 04-06-2008 at 06:19 PM.
    Home Designer Pro 10

Thanks. I think that is the direction I was going to head. It's not perfect..but it conveys the idea.

Yes the "front" of the cabinet (Dishwasher actually) was facing the sink. I know I've seen the cabinets this way for "looks". I just didn't know if Designer allowed for it to be easily done.

Thanks again
    Mike
    HD Pro 7.08
    HD Deluxe 7.08

Semper Fi

I have found the best way to create these kinds of cabinets is by using multiple cabinets put together. From the pictures above, you will find that you often have to "tweek" the cabinets a bit to get your counters and toekicks to look ok. Sometimes unchecking flat sides will let you fix up the counter so they will merge correctly.

If you are having real problems with your counters or toekicks, you can always build your own manually using the cabinet and soffit tools.

To remove your toekick, take all of your cabinets and just raise them up off the ground 4" and then make them only 32" high instead of the normal 36". This will make your cabinet float in the air. You can then build the toek kick that goes underneath them using soffits.

To remove your countertop, you must first delete it in the cabinet dialog. Go to the cabinet front page and select the counter top edge and then the delete button. You sill then need to make your cabinet 1 1/2" shorter to account for the fact that you don't have a counter top now. Do this for all of your cabinets. Then make your own custom counter by using one or more soffits that cover the area you want.

These techniqiues will work pretty good in all of the home designer versions (except maybe landscape because it doesn't have cabinet tools) as long as your island is basically rectangular. If you need angled or curved cabinets, you can sometimes get what you want but it does get trickier.

Home designer pro, has better cabinet tools including better control over the face frame and custom counter tops which gives you the ability to create cabinets that are more realistic. The picture below was done in deluxe using 1" cabinets for the sides. I unchecked flat sides and raised the side panels off the ground 4" to get the toekicks and counter correct (or at least close enough for me).

Name:	island.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	3310  

Thanks Kilgore for providing the missing element that I could not figure out on how to keep the toe kick. Would of never thought about reducing one cabinet's height and sliding it upward to match the base cabinet being butted against.

Very cool. I might have come to the same results if I had been working on this for one of my own projects; but since I wasn't and I did not have all the time in the world to work it out, I am so glad you jumped into the conversation.
    Home Designer Pro 10