Wall Types not in Default?

I just installed Home Designer Pro 7.0. Since I had used Chief Architect 4.0 for many years, I was already familiar with this type of program. Here is one of my problems. When I go to draw or edit a wall type, my only option is the default wood framing wall. There is no drop down list. This is true for interior and exterior. In order to use the program to design a new project, I have to open one the projects from the software's library, erase everything, and start from there. Then I have the options of setting up interior/exterior walls as I want them. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be. I have gone to the website and updated to 7.08. Thanks.

It sounds like a setup issue.

Check your Wall Defaults. Click Edit>Default Settings>Walls.

You might also check the Layer Displays.

Here's an example of the steps I'm using. I start a New Plan. Save as "whatever". Double click on Wall Defaults. All it shows there for Exterior and Interior Wall Tool is "default (wood frame at 16" oc)". When I click on Define for the drop down menu, it gives me the wall type definition window. When I click on the down arrow, only "default (wood frame at 16" oc)" is listed. I get the same results when I open the "Default Settings" dialogue and try to edit walls from there.
    As I said previously, if I open a plan from the library, I have all the wall type options I am used to seeing.

So when you open the defaults settings you don't get a box like the one I am showing in the picture?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	257 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	4370  

Yes, I get that window but where your says siding-6 and interior-4, mine just says "default (wood frame at 16" oc)" and when I click the define button, the only thing there is "default (wood frame at 16" oc)". There is no list of all the options for brick, siding, etc.

Try a different plan file..
    I remember reading this problem before,but not the solution.
    Only thing I can think of is the plan file you are using had the other wall types deleted..
    Allen Colburn Jr.

Chief Architect XII
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Suite 8

Drafting for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

It's when I try to start a new plan that I've encountered the problem. When I've opened one from the library, it has included the wall types. I guess I could just open one from the library, erase everything, set my own defaults and save it to use as a base for all future plans. I am an architect so I won't just be starting one drawing. I'll be doing preliminary work on several different ones. Thanks anyway.

Why don't you try to uninstall the software the re-install it to see it makes any difference.

Most of us have probably done exactly what you said about creating a plan with your own defaults. I have one that I use as my template bacause it's set up with everything I want and need.
    Last edited by daydreamer; 02-09-2008 at 03:04 PM.

Me too....

Trapped Ants,
    I'm having the exact same problem. I currently work with Chief Architect for my day job, and just purchased Home Designer Pro 7.0 to work at home. Loaded it yesterday and started using it. Came up with the same problem, only one wall type and no way to add more. Checked the manual, but it implys there are several wall types. Not on mine, only one. I'm watching this thread to see if someone has the answer. Can't believe un-install and re-install is necessary.
    Thanks,
    Mark

What seems to be common is that both of you just installed the software. So, I would assume you recently purchased it.

I am running Pro 7 and have run it under both XP and Vista. I have had no problems with wall types. In fact, I haven't had any problems with the software.

In the interim, you should probably download the plan that Allen is referring to in post #5. I will allow you to have more wall types than Pro 7 has.

Mark,

You may not believe "un-install and re-install is necessary" but follow the instructions to make sure nothing is interfering with the install http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/...?faqNumber=108. It is likely that the missing wall types aren't the only problem, just the first that you have come across! How can we troubleshoot your problem if we don't eliminate the possibilities?

You can enter a Support ticket at the following link http://support.homedesignersoftware.com/

or call the Tech Service on Monday at 800-805-0374.
    Last edited by daydreamer; 02-10-2008 at 02:52 AM.

Do you get any error messages when you start the program?

Do you get a list of style templates when you use File>New from the menu after you have started the program?

It sounds like you are missing the default style template, the one that contains all of the wall settings. The uninstall, reinstall may fix this.