Hi all:

I hope what I'm trying to do here can be accomplished ( I don't see why not, since many houses are designed this way). What I am trying to do is place a set of stairs from my basement to the main level DIRECTLY underneath the stairs form the main level to the second floor.

The problem I am running into is that it doesn't appear that they fit correctly, and I don't have adaquate knowledge about this topic to make it work correctly. I've included two screen shots (although I don't know if they are of any benefit).

I am using HD SUITE 8.0

THANKS!!

The problem came when trying to get the stairs to be identical (even with coping the dimensions in the dbx from one to the other) and getting them lines up on top of each other exactly.

The ceiling height mention you made is interesting. Would the ceiling heights need to be adjusted for that room to make everything fit correctly? I was trying to keep it as open as possible instead of shoving the stairs into a small enclosed (by walls) room - at least for the main level.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stairs - basement.GIF 
Views:	251 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	6806   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stairs - main level.GIF 
Views:	263 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	6807  
    Barrett
    HD Suite 8.0

Quote Originally Posted by jbgeyer
    The problem came when trying to get the stairs to be identical (even with coping the dimensions in the dbx from one to the other) and getting them lines up on top of each other exactly.
    Copy the stairs, move to the other floor where you want the identical ones, select Edit> Paste> Paste Hold Position.
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    Home Designer Architectural 10
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

Tried...and failed.

I think the problem is that I am utilizing a landing between my "L" shaped stairs. I am unable to copy the entire staircase as a single "unit" and am having a terrible time getting them lined up properly on top of each other. It's darn close, but in 3D you can see they aren't lined up (close, but no cigar)... I'm stuck...once again.

Does anyone know of a way to EXACTLY copy a complex staircase from one floor to the other, keeping it in the EXACT same location from floor to floor?
    Barrett
    HD Suite 8.0

How do I do stairs?

Hi again all...

I've found my weakness... and it's staircases. I have been trying to get this design to work for 2 hours and can't (i'm almost embarassed). As you can see in the picture (which I drew in paint), I'm trying to create this staircase to go from my main level to my second floor.

Thick black lines are walls, thick brown are railings. Can anyone give me a detailed "walkthrough" on how to design this and make it work? I don't know if there would be 1 or two railings between the two stair cases, but it looks kind of stupid with two so close together. I realize this is my second posting on stairs, but I am having so much trouble.

Thanks so much!! All of your help thus far has been tremendous. REMINDER: I'm using Suite 8.0, not PRO

Uploading pictures doesn't work when you forget to upload pictures. Sorry!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stairs.GIF 
Views:	264 
Size:	3.7 KB 
ID:	6817  
    Barrett
    HD Suite 8.0

You ding-a-ling; this has a tutorial on it, but here goes anyway.

1. Using the stair tool, draw the first set of stairs so that they are facing the actual direction you want to be climbing upwards.

2. Make a second set, same as the first but going the opposite direction. (your picture shows the right method)

3. Take the stair tool, place it between the wall and the two staircasings, then click (no drawing done at this point),

To remove any hand rails that you do not want, click on one of the staircasings, open the dialogue box, and start editing what you want and don't want. (IF your version allows).
    Home Designer Pro 10

Does anyone know of a way to EXACTLY copy a complex staircase from one floor to the other, keeping it in the EXACT same location from floor to floor?
    I don't understand why the Paste Hold Position doesn't work. Even if the landing isn't copied, if both stair sections are, then you can just recreate the landing by clicking between the two stair sections and it is the same. I tested this using an L shaped stair made up of two stair sections and a landing in a blank plan and when the Reference Display is turned on, the two staircases line up perfectly.
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

Perhaps it is becasue of the difference in size between main level exterior walls and foundation walls?

Also, when you use the auto stairwell feature on the basement stairs, it is putting railings on the main level which petrude through the main level stairs... still workig to resolve that.
    Barrett
    HD Suite 8.0

Perhaps it is becasue of the difference in size between main level exterior walls and foundation walls?
    Now I am confused, based on your screenshot it looked like the walls were the same, and you said they were aligned?

Also, when you use the auto stairwell feature on the basement stairs, it is putting railings on the main level which petrude through the main level stairs... still workig to resolve that.
    Yes, that's what that tool does, if you don't want to see the railings, click on a railing to select it, choose Open Object, and make it as Invisible.
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

Room under stairs

Hi all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to create a room underneath a staircase (such as a powder room) in HD Suite 8.0? If so, what are the steps necessary?

Thanks!
    Barrett
    HD Suite 8.0

You would probably find it helpful and you move along with your design a little quicker if you watched the tutorials and searched the Help Database on some of these questions before posting.

Article Number 265: How do I add a staircase with a small room under it?
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7