Saving Objects to Library

Hello, I recently purchased Architectural Home Designer 8.
    My husband and I manufacture furniture, and recently have started doing custom cabinet jobs. We bought the program to make mock ups of our customers kitchen/baths and then email them a picture so they have an idea what we are going to do and how its going to look. They can then make changes etc.

Sometimes I spend a lot of time trying to make a custom cabinet I would like to use on other plans. Is there any way I can add these cabinets to my library so they are available to put in other plans? Hope that sounds right.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Terri

Terri,

Even though the Home Designer software products don't allow you to add objects into the Library Browser, you should be able to create a plan of just the custom cabinet symbols that you want to use and then copy/paste them into a new plan when you are ready to use them. You may want to label them in the plan using the text tools so that you don't have to do a 3D camera view every time to figure out which one you want to copy.
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    Home Designer Architectural 10
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

saving objects to library

Hi, thanks for the advice and info. I will create a dummy plan and use it to store my custom cabinets as suggested. So far when I try to paste a special cabinet from one plan to another, it changes the cabinet back to default, I'll keep playing with it.

BTW it was the help file that led me to believe you could save your objects to the library.
    Me thinks they might need to re-word it, either that or I just misunderstood what I was reading. It wouldnt be the first time. Anyway I'm going to include it below, you tell me what you think.

In the Help file, index tab, type in cabinet, underneath click on the sub-heading "designer" and you will find this, its the second sentence that is to me misleading or false?:

Architectural Home Designer also has many customized cabinet symbols and cabinet groups available in the library. Cabinets you have customized can be saved to your own library for future use.

Anyway, thanks for your time.

Terri

Hi, Terri,

I don't have your version, so this may not work for you ...

In the Library browser right-click on a cabinet name (not on the image in the preview pane) and select "copy".

Then right-click on the "-My Cabinets" folder (may have a different name in your version) and select paste.

You can now re-name the cabinet and customize it to your hearts content...

Hope this works for you...
    Doug S.

HD Pro 9 (Build 9.6.1.1)
    Sketchup 7
    Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Hi Doug,
    Your idea did indeed work for AHD. Thank you very much!!! For some reason I was still unable to paste special cabinets I had created from one plan to another, without them losing the modifications I made to them so this is perfect. I really appreciate you sharing it.

Terri

Your welcome. Glad it worked for you...
    Doug S.

HD Pro 9 (Build 9.6.1.1)
    Sketchup 7
    Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit