stairs not breaking thru floor?

hello all!

i have searched and read on this forum all morning, and can not seem to find an answer to my question. although i am sure it has been posted before.

i have a garage. the middle section has an upper floor for an apartment. in my earlier designs i added the stairs just fine, now, for some reason, i can not get the stairs to break thru the wall/floor to the upper floor. they sort of break thru, but do not leave enough head room. the stairwell is there, correctly configured. the stairs reach, it is just that you'd have to duck to get thru them!
    this wall is a mix of an interior wall, and an outside wall. attached is a picture of the outside (back) of the building, and my staris. well, not really, it is an exterior wall i suppose, as you can see from the outside picture.

any ideas?

thanks much!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stairs.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	7435   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	outside back.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	7436  
    Heidi
    Home Designer Pro 6.0

From the picture it looks as if the stairway is actually in two different rooms. It seems the program created the stairwell on one side of the wall, but not on the other. You may have to manully go on the other side of the wall and create a space over the stair that says "open below".

Hope this helps
    Alfiejay
    HD Pro 2012