gable and shed roofs

BH&G Pro 8: I've been trying to make two gable and two shed roofs for the design pictured in the attachment. The big low section of the left (garage and shop) gets a 3/12 gable, the high bit gets a 3/12 gable, and each of the other two bits gets a 3/12 shed roof that ideally should merge with the garage/shop roof.

I can't get the gable slopes to join at the ridges, I can't get the shed roofs to go all the way to the tall walls, and I haven't even tried to get the shed roofs to merge with the garage/shop gable. Join Roof Planes always gives the same error about cannot move one of the roof edges without making an adjacent edge zero or reversing it.

Have I used the Roof Plane drawing tool wrong, so that the roof planes I think I'm getting are actually viewed as something geometrically impossible by the program? What gives?

Thanks for any help --

Mark.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roofless.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	7448  

Once I've zoomed in and adjusted the edges of the roof planes to fit exactly, the plan looks as if the roof planes do join at the ridges. In the 3D Vector view, they don't. Join Roof Planes doesn't work, still...
    Last edited by gooley; 10-06-2008 at 09:24 AM.

You mean like this?

Or maybe I don't quite understand your description?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gooley1.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	7456  
    Doug S.

HD Pro 9 (Build 9.6.1.1)
    Sketchup 7
    Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Yes, like that; thanks for drawing it up. Okay, what might I be doing wrong?

Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by gooley
    Yes, like that; thanks for drawing it up. Okay, what might I be doing wrong?

Mark.
    Hi, Mark

Sometimes we all come up with over complicated solutions to simple problems.

Just make the first floor walls gable, go to the second floor and do the same for the two short walls. The lower roof planes look like a shed roof in part but really they're not...

But don't let this discourage you from trying manual roof planes, because it's an essential tool when things really get complicated...
    Doug S.

HD Pro 9 (Build 9.6.1.1)
    Sketchup 7
    Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Thanks. DUH. I'd tried that earlier and gotten bizarre results, but I think that that was because I put external walls inside (before I realized I could use several flavors of internal wall).