Thread: Log home design

Question Log home design

I received Home Designer 6.0 for Christmas although I have used design software 'punchpro' and 'deck design' in the past. Can this program create log homes or simply log accents? Can't wait to see what I can create!
    Kathy

I did this in Suite 6 but I did import a custom texture for the exterior walls; as you can see it is more of an emulation than an exact duplication.

DJP
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the help.
    Kathy

Does this program have the capability to make plans for a log cabin?

I am a few years away from retirement and want to know if you guys think home designer suite is a good program to start out with.I want to design my home and see a lifelike rendering. I undertand that it will not be of professional quality but I have time for that.

When I am ready to make my plans a reality can this program file be uploaded to run with Chief Architect ? Does this program have the capability to make plans for a log cabin ? If anyone has a image of a log cabin made with program I would love to see it.

Sorry for all the questions. Is there any training video's or websites devoted to using this program?

Thanks for the help.

Bite the bullet and buy Pro 7.0. You can get it from Amazon for $450, and you may be able to get a $50 rebate if you meet the eligibility criteria.

When you consider how much a new house is going to cost, the extra cost to go with Pro is a drop in the bucket. The extra functionality and compatability with Chief Architect should be well worth it.

You can make your plan "look" like a log cabin but it is hard to design a "real" log cabin with any program. The main problem is the way the program does it's walls. It uses standard stick frame construction techniques which means you can't use a real log wall. What you can do is use a log texture on the outside of the wall and it will look like log siding. If this is close enough you should be happy with the program.

If you want it to look more real, you can use log corner symbols on the wall corners. You can also use moldings or other symbols for the log walls themselves but this starts becoming a lot of work to design. These log symbols only come with Pro and Chief Architect so if you are determined to design a realistic log home I would recommend that you get Pro.

The attached picture is of a sample plan that comes with Chief Architect and Home Designer Pro that shows what can be done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	log cabin.jpg 
Views:	611 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	261  

Angry Log Home Problem

There has to be an easier way to build a log home's exterior walls!!!!:mad:

Wouldn't it be nice if the wall specification included logs?

It is a royal pain to select the log from "fixtures (exterior)" to slap up against the exterior wall in order to obtain a building that resembles a log cabin. But, what even makes it worse is that in order to get windows and doors you have to install them first and then resize the specific log block that you are using.

Does anyone have any ideas how to make it simplier to do in order for windows and doors to be installed in one function instead of a bunch of functions?

And just out of curiosity - when you make an error in placement of the logs it comes back with a message that indicates that you are working with a "cabinet". Just try placing a log too close to an existing log section on a wall; you will see what I mean.

Also, why isn't there a radius button for a curved log wall? The curved logs are horrible. They don't fit the area properly.

Trying to create a "real" log home is a lot of work because each log has to be placed and resized appropriately. Personally, I wouldn't bother because it's almost as easy to just go out and build the cabin.

Another way to design a log home is to use a log material instead of siding material on your walls. This will look better then using plain walls and is about a million times easier then trying to create each log. Unfortunately, there are not any log materials already in the library. You would need to create your own and I would start by looking for some on the web. If all else fails, you could also take a picture of the side of a log house using a digital camera.

Name:	LogSiding.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	9633   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LogSidingCH-CA.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	9634   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LogSidingDK-CA.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	9635   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LogSidingFlatCH-CA.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	9636  

See Article number 683 in the Help Database titled How do I make a log cabin?

real log cabin or just siding

Can i create a real log home in home designer suite 7.0 and how do i do it?

You can add any texture for a siding if you have a picture of it.
    Very easy to adjust how wide it is.
    For real working drawings of log homes,that takes more work..

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	4731  
    Allen Colburn Jr.

Chief Architect XII
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Suite 8

Drafting for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Attached is a jpg of a log wall covering. Works pretty well. Will attach a jpeg of a design I did using it in next posting. I just thought this might be helpful when working on a log structure.

Here is a design I did using the log wall covering I posted previously.

Name:	logs3.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	6781   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mtn cabin 2.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	6783  

log siding

Can you give me guidance on adding log siding? This is driving me nuts! I tried following the steps at http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/...?faqNumber=683 . Everything makes sense up to step #8:

"To complete the exterior, we need only fill in the areas under the door and windows, and in the gable area. This is accomplished using individual horizontal logs."

I love how it states "we need ONLY..." That is the biggest "only" I have ever experienced!

I read some suggestions about searching for log sidings. Can someone give me guidance about where to find this and how to adding this?

I am using Architectural Home Designer v8.5.5.15.

I am attaching an image of the current state of my exterior.

Name:	Image4-1-2005-10.23.27 AM6-8-2009-10.16.09 AM.gif 
Views:	284 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	8702  

Quote Originally Posted by dave_jacobson
    Can you give me guidance on adding log siding? This is driving me nuts! I tried following the steps at http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/...?faqNumber=683 . Everything makes sense up to step #8:
    Hi Dave,

I love making log cabins, chalets etc. I had tried (I have AHD8) and didn't like the results. So, I found pictures online of the material I needed and now I just apply the materials as needed. Okay, okay, it won't do the wonderful corners but it's the closest without going into virtual world.

So, I hope these help, here's the materials samples I use for Log Effects (attached below).

Wynter Myst

N.B. Once you have the new material and are applying them, just change the angles on the materials tab, okay?

Okay, I've promised a 3D-exterior using the materials I've posted here. Here it is!

Wynter

Name:	679744.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	8745   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WoodgrainBeadboard.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	8746   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Muskoka Pine.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	8750   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	644773_90.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	9631   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WoodgrainBeadboard_90.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	9632  

2007 HDDeluxe 7
    2008 AHDesign 8
    http://mcdb.jimdo.com
    S - Windows XP, Vista

"Witchcraft does not work on this program "