Default Door/Opening Framing

How is it possible to force the size of a door ? I am designing a bathroom reno and i know it has a 30" door but the auto "framing" seems to force the door to 26 " as I assume it is adding an extra stud each side of the door as it , shows 3 5/8" each side with temp.Dims. ,not the 1st time i have run into this problem ,as i do alot of renos of older homeswhere every opening ismax'd out for size.

thanks for the help,

Mick.
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5

Can you change the door width by opening the door specification box (i.e., double-click a placed door, or use the 'open item' button)?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	door.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	8916  
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

Quote Originally Posted by Kbird
    How is it possible to force the size of a door ? I am designing a bathroom reno and i know it has a 30" door but the auto "framing" seems to force the door to 26 " as I assume it is adding an extra stud each side of the door as it , shows 3 5/8" each side with temp.Dims. ,not the 1st time i have run into this problem ,as i do alot of renos of older homeswhere every opening ismax'd out for size.

thanks for the help,

Mick.
    That doesn't sound right. The opening should build out from the door width, not in.

Did you check your interior door default? Maybe it's preset to 26"?

Name:	Door Framing.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	8919  
    Doug S.

HD Pro 9 (Build 9.6.1.1)
    Sketchup 7
    Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Hi , thanks for the replies , yes I tried the standard resize options Elovia but door resizes itsself after closing the DBX and even though there is room for a larger door it wont allow it. , the pics i have added might help explain it better. The Door default is set at 30 inch the sameas the one you see in the WIC next door ,so i think it is in how HDS does the framing and thinks it needs two studs at the door (ie a king and a cripple stud) and wont allow me to over ride it.

Name:	Door framing2.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	8920   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Door framing.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	162.4 KB 
ID:	8921  
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5

What is the dimension called out in the sketch below? And what dimensions do you have set for the framing and trim?

You may be able to squeeze more room if you can suppress the casing (i.e., option checkbox near the bottom of the Framing & Trim tab on the Door Specification dialog shown above), or reduce the size of your trim.

Name:	Door framing2.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	8922  
    Last edited by Elovia; 07-11-2009 at 07:59 PM.
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

Mick

Does HD Suite 8 have ignore casing for opening resize in general plan defaults. If it does make sure it is checked.

Dean
    HD9 Pro Demo

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Miller
    Mick

Does HD Suite 8 have ignore casing for opening resize in general plan defaults. If it does make sure it is checked.

Dean
    (should have remembered that... )

...or if you don't have "ignore casing...", reduce the casing width.
    Doug S.

HD Pro 9 (Build 9.6.1.1)
    Sketchup 7
    Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

A BIG thankyou gentlemen you were correct once I checked that " ignore casing for opening resize" in general plan defaults it allowed me to make the correct sized door .... should of guessed it was something like that when i saw the temp. dims. said 3 3/8" ( 3 1/2" casings) both side of the door frame,
    pity there isnt a warning DBX about stuff like that , sometimes this program is too damn smart for its own good
    thanks again,
    Mick.
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5

Katie,

That tool option is there to in most cases make sure the door width also allows for casing.
    When unchecked the door object forces the casings into the wall's interior space, so such a design will not allow proper trimming of doors.
    We have all seen such in the field where door or window casings are truncated (cut down) to fit a larger door or window into an insufficient space but it is not a "good" practice and the finished product is not as pleasing to the eye or professional as designing spaces that allow space for proper trims and spacings.
    It is a trade-off and a down-grade which is sometimes accepted but is not an optimum practice.
    Where possible it should be avoided designing enough space for proper framing and trimming.

DJP

Hi there,

Check if the wall section is total or cut-up. The break wall piece might be shortening your door opening. That happened to me once, until I checked the wall piece and realize one was joining at the wrong place and therefore scrunched the door.

Wynter Myst
    2007 HDDeluxe 7
    2008 AHDesign 8
    http://mcdb.jimdo.com
    S - Windows XP, Vista

"Witchcraft does not work on this program "