Thread: 2 roofs?

UnHappy 2 roofs?

I am drawing an "L" -shaped house, and every time I try to put my roof on, the walls on half of the house dissappear in the render view and I get 2 roofs on top of each other - one on top of the foundation, and the other at the top of the walls where it should be. How can I fix it? I am using v. 7.06.

Can you post a picture of what you are getting, please. It would help. Also, can you tell us which product you are using, by name. There is more than one version 7 product.

Sorry - Home Designer Pro 7.0.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2roofs2.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	598  

I have never seen anything like that.

It can't be invisible walls since the windows and door would not be visible, so it's something else. Perhaps you have somehow applied a transparent material to the walls on that part of the house. Try using the Eyedropper/Material Painter tools to copy the 'good' siding to the transparent siding.

If that doesn't work, check your wall and room definitions on the transparent part of the house.

Keep us posted.

Well, my walls show fine until I put the roof on, and if you didn't notice it, there is a roof applied on top of the foundation as well - that is part of the problem, too. I have deleted and redone the roof multiple times, and it does the same thing each time. I also have looked at every possible setting I can think of and can't find anything askew - I have even compared settings from the walls that haven't disappeared to the walls that have and can't find anything different. But it is that second roof that really gets me.

The image is not very clear, but if I may speculate ... it could be that the foundation walls in that part of the house are offset from the upper, main floor walls by just enough to cause the program to generate a roof over the "basement". I don't know why it seems to be igoring the walls on the first floor.

I have noticed that the auto generate roofs function sometimes does bizarre and unnatural things. The algorithm used is not completely deterministic. That is, the roofs generated automatically as you move and change walls can create a different roof line than if you started with no roofs and had it generate roofs "from scratch". It seems to be computing deltas to the roof line, and not completely generating them over everytime.

You might try deleting all roofs (and thus turning off auto generate), and then have it generate new roofs from scratch. As a last resort you could just start with a new, blank plan and draw all the walls in before generating a roof, at all.

I have spent a lot of time experimenting with the auto generate function as well as in building my own roofs from scratch. The auto generate can save you some time, but I would never rely on it. In particular, if you get the roof planes the way you want them (or close enough), turn the auto generate function off.
    John Horst aka "Coogan"
    Columbus, OH
    HDP 7.08a (I guess!)
    RLAEnterprises.net/HouseDesigns
    "Nothing is impossible for the guy who doesn't have to do it"

After seeing your last reply (done while I typed ), I would suggest you turn auto generate OFF, then delete the offending basement roofs. You probably, then, do not want to turn auto generate back on for this plan, since it behaves so badly. Of course, this means if you move exterior walls you will have to manually move the roof planes.
    John Horst aka "Coogan"
    Columbus, OH
    HDP 7.08a (I guess!)
    RLAEnterprises.net/HouseDesigns
    "Nothing is impossible for the guy who doesn't have to do it"

If that design is what it appears to be, a simple L with gable roofs and all rooms of the same height, I know of no reason why the automatic roof tool should not work. That said, when the auto roof is not behaving properly, it sometimes helps to use the Delete Roof Planes tool, and then turn Auto Rebuild Roof back on. As a general rule, though, weird roof planes on a simple design are almost always caused by problems in the plan, not the roof tool

I did not notice the second low roof when I first looked. I agree that one cause could be a foundation out of alignment with the walls above. Try deleting the foundation and building a new one.

Also make sure that none of the Retain Roof Plane boxes are checked in the Build Roof DBX.
    Last edited by RootFarm; 08-18-2006 at 08:33 AM.

This problem is most often caused by walls that are not aligned between floors.
    Dan Park
    Customer Support Manager
    Chief Architect, Inc

Talking

Yes, you are correct in that the foundation is not aligned throughout - this is because part of the house is an addition to a modular home and had a different foundation. This was, indeed, the problem. I had an epiphany while reading your help, and was able to solve my problem. I aligned the foundations temporarily and rebuilt the roof - it allowed the roof to configure itself properly - and then re-changed the foundation back to the way it was. This seemed to work great. Thank you for your suggestions, they were great!

It is always good to hear that the problem has been solved.

Walls align floor to floor on the outside of the main layer. If you are in PRO you could create a custom foundation wall type with a different layer structure that allows you to align them correctly with the wall above.
    Dan Park
    Customer Support Manager
    Chief Architect, Inc