Commercial Door Lites?

Thanks for your input into my last query.
    Now I realize that the Hollow Metal door and frame types that we use in our projects are not readily available in the software stock door types. We often use the Narrow Lite, and Glass Type of door window in addition to the Flush type. Here in Ontario we need all lites lowered to 35" A.F.F. for accessible viewing. I have not at this time seen any adjustable glass settings in the doors to accommodate this. I may be out of luck on this one, but what kind of work arounds can one think of...

Thanks again
    Take Care
    Craig
    using Home Designer Pro 9.0
    Dell XPS420; Quad Core Q6600 @ 2.40GHz ea;
    Vista HP Sp1; 3070MB RAM
    GeForce 8600 GTS; DirectX 10; OGL 2.1.1;
    Also use ArchiCAD 9, progeCAD 2009 Pro, TurboCAD v14.2 Pro, 3D Canvas 7, Carrara 3D Express

I assume you mean 35 A.F.F. to the bottom.

These doors are altered "Glass Doors" edited using the "Lites" tab to get these variations.
    If you could be more specific then so could I be in terms of what can be done or not done.

DJP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P-9-doors.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	9659  

Hi Craig

You can adjust a door using the export “Current View (DXF).

When you import “Drawing (DXF)”again you can adjust the door lite or create your own as I did in the attachment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	craig.JPG 
Views:	229 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	9660  
    Gord C

Ontario, Canada

Designer
    www.crowhurstdesign.ca

Home Designer Pro 8.0 x 2
    Home Designer Pro 9.0 x 2
    Home Designer Pro 2012 x 1

PC - Windows XP - Intel Pentium Xeon 2.8 Ghz
    Seagate 40 GB Drive ST 340014A 320 GB
    Monitor (1) AOC 2330V (2) SyncMaster 2233

B.C.I.N 36172 & 40767

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" Wayne Douglas Gretzky

Explanatory note:

What Gord did is 2-D only and what I did is 2-D and 3-D.

In terms of graphic portrayal more can be done using 2-D along with 3-D for print-outs.

Most construction documentation is still done in 2-D.

Pro has plenty of 2-D drawing tools that can be overlaid or added to 3-D camera views like cross sections, details and elevations; the 2-D is for annotation and added detail not natively present in 3-D limitations.

So some solutions are purely 3-D and limited to the detail of 3-D objects and live 3-D presentations.

Printed views from a layout page can be a lot more detailed at need over the native 3-D starting point.

It depends of whether your presentation is printed or is a real-time live presentation.

DJP

Thanks for replying guys. I get the settings being able adjust the bottom of the glass up to 35" which covers the Type "G" and Type "FG" shown in the linked file.

http://www.arcat.com/details/repbuild/08110007.pdf

But the one we use the most is the Type "N" which has a Narrow Lite offset from center, which does not seem to be able to be done in the Door Specification Dlg, where only the bottom is adjusted separately.

We also on occasion use a dutch Door or Louver in a Furnace Room.

Does anyone import their own doors/windows as models that will cut into walls like the program ones?
    Take Care
    Craig
    Vista HP Sp1; 3070MB RAM
    Also use ArchiCAD 9, progeCAD 2009 Pro, TurboCAD v14.2 Pro, 3D Canvas 7, Carrara 3D Express

An acceptable work around that I haven't tried yet would to use an Image Object or picture file applied to the face of a Flush Door or something like that within the view to be rendered.
    Take Care
    Craig
    Vista HP Sp1; 3070MB RAM

Craig,

Applying bit-map images to 3-D faces works fine for bit-map out put.

What I mean is that most construction documentation is done in "Vector" format where objects are represented as lines (door symbols (all symbols really) are actually created with groups of vector-based lines forming the faces of the real object; in other words created using the computer language of lines as opposed to pixels).

Bit-map images will not show up from a Home Designer Pro or Chief print "layout" unless sent to the layout AS bit-map images.

What I am saying is that the use of bit-map textures, materials and as image overlays works great in Open GL camera views and can be printed or sent to a print layout as images and show up just fine but that same model sent to a print layout as a vector-based elevation or cross section will not display any applied bit-map-based textures or imagery.
    In other words such a door would look perfect as a bit-map or as part of a bit-map based image but the same, exact view printed as lines will just show the plane door and not display any bit-map qualities.

The rub is the computer language used to display material as pixels and as vectors is totally different and not translatable one to the other.

So as long as you understand the limitations of such solutions the better off you are in terms of overall control of your business and products.

DJP

I hope this was not to "geeky" or over answered
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 11-04-2009 at 10:07 AM.

O.K. Thanks David & Gord
    There is a reasonable workaround if the settings can't do it, by either inserting an Image Object on it for a rendering only, and either drawing CAD on a elevation or inserting a vector elevation view if it for printed construction documentation.
    Take Care
    Craig
    Vista HP Sp1; 3070MB RAM