Help with stairs

In Architectural Home Designer 9: I'm replicating my house, which has two stories and a basement. There are two sets of stairs, one over the other, from basement to floor 1 and from floor 1 to floor 2. How do I create the slanting wall on the first floor which goes alongside the stairway to the second floor and which encloses the area over the basement stairs?

Also, the stairway to the second floor has a landing separating two stair sections. The sections are at a 180 degree relationship to each other. The landing is surrounded by walls on three sides. The banister shows up superimposed on the back wall. How do I fix this?

Thanks in advance.
    Architectural Home Designer 9

Welcome to the forums.

On the Style tab of the Staircase Specification dialog, you can de-select the "Open Underneath" option. This will form an enclosure under the staircase.

Likewise, you should be able to play with the settings on the Railings tab of the Staircase Specification dialog to specify where you want railings. Check to make sure that the back edge of the staircase is flush with the wall, otherwise the software will still try to draw a railing.

Hope this helps.
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

Thanks for your reply. I tried setting the stairway to not open underneath, but since the landing is open underneath, it created a wall on the first floor at the back of the landing that is blocking the door to the kitchen!

Can you post some images of your plan view and camera view so that we can see what you're seeing? It would probably help us help you better.
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

I'm not sure if I understand all of the issues you are having but here is some information about stairs that might be helpful.

You should be able to remove the railing from either the left or right of a stairway by opening up the specification dialog and unchecking the Left Railing or Right Railing box on the Style tab.

If you want to have control over what is underneath a stairway, such as when you want to use this space for a coat closet or other storage area, keep the open underneath option checked and just draw interior walls under them. Your walls should automatically get trimed off by your stairway. This can sometimes be challenging to draw them where you want them because the stair actually is in the way. To help with this, you can temporarily change your stair Fill Style to None (transparent) and it will be easier to draw your walls underneath your stairs.

If you want a solid railing that is sloped so that it follows your stairs up, all you need to do is draw a railing wall next to your stairs. If it is right against your stairs, and marked as a solid railing, it should follow your stairs up. You can then turn off your default stair railing.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principle Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com

The wall trick worked; I now have a slanted wall alongside the stairs. Now I'm going to try the railing.