Thread: Item depth...

Item depth...

Can someone tell me why I can't make anything but soffit thinner than 1"? Doesn't matter what it is, I put in like 1/4", and it defaults to 1".....what am I missing...this seems a recent thing, or I am just trying so resize more things, I'm not sure...
    Architectural Home Designer 9.0
    I'm limited by my video card, not my imagination...

Lynne,

Can you give us an example to try and reproduce?

Are the items you're trying to reduce below 1" actually resizing, but your displayed dimension may be rounding to the nearest inch?
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

Sure. I should have done that already but I was posting on the fly. I imported an S hook, which was default size of 1" long by 1/8" in diameter. When I went to change the length, it changes the diameter size to 1". I just tried a dinner plate from the library. I tried to make the plate 4 9/16"X4 9/16", and when I did that, it change the thickness of the plate from 1/8", to 1". I have tried to make a cylinder, box, and the other general shapes 3/4" or less, and it always defaults back to 1". I just don't get it...the only thing I can get to be less than 3/4 inch is soffit. Or towels... or rugs...but that's about it. I don't remember having these issues on my other plans, but maybe like I said, I'm just trying to resize a lot more in this plan. Mostly because I am having to make a lot of things, because they are not in the library, and they are not on G3D.

Oh, and yes, they are actually resizing to 1".

I don't know....seems odd to me....I mean, what's the difference to the program how thick/thin I make something?
    Last edited by Lynne22; 05-01-2010 at 12:27 PM.

To help isolate the problem (my guess is you have a setting doing this behavior), can you resize these same items in a new blank plan? Or do they only exhibit this behavior in your current plan?

The answer will help distinguish whether it is a default setting (single plan only) or preference (all plans).

I was able to resize a dinner plate from the library in my Pro 9 trial (and that functionality shouldn't be different than in AHD9).
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

I stand corrected, the plate depth was 1 3/8", but no, I can not get it thinner than that,(1") in a new plan or not.

I don't see any preference setting that might cause that behavior (offhand). Perhaps you should run the plan by Tech Support for their review and suggestions.

The only thing I can think of ... and it's a loooooong shot ... is do you have a material applied to the object that is larger than the desired resize of the item?
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

No, even on the default items, it's that way. I don't know, maybe that's the way it is normally, and I am just now noticing it....

No ... that behavior isn't normal. Most likely you have a setting causing this behavior, but I'm not sure which one. As I mentioned before, I was able to resize the dinner plate from the library; I used the dimensions you suggested 4 9/16" x 4 9/16" x 1/4" and it resized just fine.
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

Can you do me a favor, try to take the closed box, and make it 3/4 or less, like if you were going to use it instead of a back splash or something....that's when I started noticing this whole thing, I was trying to use a closed box for a back splash near the floor/side of a tub, since the soffit wouldn't stop the baseboard, which I didn't want, -- and it would not get any thinner than 1". Even if I tried to resize i in 3D mode....I'm curious if you can do it....and if you can, then there is definitely something wrong here....

With the closed box in Pro 9 Trial, I get the same results you are, Lynne. I cannot resize its depth less than 1".

However, let us ... errmm ... think outside the box ... so to speak. Can you use the slab tool to achieve the results you want? In my Pro 9 Trial, I was able to create a slab with less than one inch depth, and I can move it and place it just like any other object. In the image below, you see a default closed box, one that is resized but constrained to 1" depth, and a slab resized to 1/2" depth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slab.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	10630  
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

Yes, now that I can do....never thought of using that....I will have to make a mental note. :-0) I guess for the round things, I will have to just have to get over it. What I was trying to do today was make a thin face for a clock, and 1" was just way too thick...so I had to scratch the whole thing and pick one from G3D. Not what I wanted at all....

Thanks for trying that for me. At least I know there isn't anything wrong with the program. Just a limitation for me to work around....