Thread: Stair Railings

Stair Railings

Hi Everyone

I have Pro 9 and I was wondering if anyone knew if it is possible to change the stair railings to match the design of the railings on the floors? I can create a railing in my design and edit it, but the railings on the stairs are always the same.
    Alfiejay
    HD Pro 2012

That is one of the limitations of Pro; you cannot change the stair rail balusters or newels. But if you care to take the time to do so, you can manually place balusters from the library, use the transform/replicate tool to populate the rest of the railing, and then use a sloped soffit for the hand rail. The results are great, but it does take a bit of work getting the pieces set in position.

Below is a quick example. I set the default stair balusters' material to "No Material (opening)", and then placed, and sized the two balusters on the first step using two elevation camera views at 90° to each other and to the stairway. From the stair dialog, I knew my rise was 7 5/8" and the tread width was 10 1/4". I group selected the two balusters, used the transform replicate tool, and input the Z direction as 7 5/8" and the X direction at 10 1/4", for 14 copies (15 stairs).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stairs.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	10973  
    Last edited by Elovia; 07-25-2010 at 12:14 PM. Reason: To add the image
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

Hey, that is so cool! Thanks.
    Alfiejay
    HD Pro 2012

You're welcome. There is no need to use the sloped soffit for the handrail (as mentioned above) if you're satisfied with the default hand rail. If your stairs use a custom baluster panel with a raised shoe (i.e., the panels are anchored at newels), or if you want to place glass panels between newels, then you will need to use a sloped soffit for the shoe rail or glass panel(s).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stair.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	10978  
    Last edited by Elovia; 07-26-2010 at 03:58 PM. Reason: To add the image
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10