Can One Place a Hinged Door in a Half Wall?

Hi,

I am working on an unusual project, wherein I am designing a showroom for a remodeler.

This gable-roofed showroom is ceiling-less, for the most part, with the overhead being "warehouse-style" with painted insulation and exposed ductwork. Most of the space is taken up by "vignettes" (room scenes that are surrounded by half walls). None of these spaces have doors or actual ceilings (using sofits, etc. to create ceiling facades). No big deal. HOWEVER, there are two rooms (office and a bathroom) that DO need to have actual doors and ceilings. And they have open space above their ceilings, almost like little attic spaces. So I do not want attic walls drawn above these rooms.

My "solution," which I am attempting without a whole lot of success, was to use half walls to construct these rooms and sofits or partitions to create artificial ceilings. The problem is, when I attempt to place ahinged door in the half wall, it creates a doorway. I assume that this is because a half wall is actually simply a solid railing. If anyone has an alternative solution, I would really appreciate hearing it!

Thanks,

JulieK
    HD Pro 10.4.3.5

Why don't you try bringing the half wall up to the height you want to specify, then identify in the room dialogue box that there is a ceiling over this room. Then you can add the full-sized door.

I recently did a plan where there were 90 inch walls in a room that was 120 inches high. I inserted an 80 inch doorway into the 90 inch wall without any problem. I still had the open space above.
    Home Designer Pro 10

Yes, you can place a hinged door in a half wall.

Although a doorway will get placed by default (as you have noticed), you can select it, click on the Open Object edit tool, change the Door Type to Hinged.

Then in a camera view, you can select it and use the edit handles to increase its height.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Door in a Half Wall.jpg 
Views:	910 
Size:	130.3 KB 
ID:	11720  
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    Home Designer Architectural 10
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

THANKS to you both! Feel somewhat dumb, now that I read your answers. Appreciate your taking the time to respond!

Julie