Question 2012 Core Catalog Download Error

I just updated from Architectural 10 to Pro 2012 and I can't get the library to download.

I have tried multiple times to do the download, but I keep getting an error.

Is there anyway to save some of the catalog at a time?

It would be nice to have some of the catalog to use while I try to download the rest.

What is the actual wording of the error?

Your best recourse may be to call Tech Support while they are open (Pacific Time office hours M-F). Most of us have no trouble with such things and Tech Support can and will help you as that is what their specialty is.

DJP

Just upgraded to Architectural 2012. Had same problem.

For the benefit of others who might find this thread like I did, I solved it by tweaking certain Windows 7 TCP/IP settings that were causing large downloads to hang (and the core catalogs download is a doozy at 2 Gig).

The instructions I followed can be found by googling "disable tcp auto tuning windows 7".

The issue is that if your machine thinks it is connected to a high-speed network it will in Vista/W7 attempt to increase the size of the window of data it will send/accept without an acknowledgement from the other side.

This would increase throughput on a fast network connection, but actually has little benefit if e.g. your nice high-speed router is connected to a DSL modem, and your pipe to the internet backbone is the constraining factor, not your window size.

In fact, it may hang large downloads - like the core catalogs - if you have older equipment that somehow gets confused by what Windows is trying to do.

So - if someone else has the same issue, try if this fixes it!

missing Plants folder in library browser

Hey!

Last week I bought HD Landscape&Deck.
    Everything went ok, except ALL (!!!) plant images are missing.

I'm a landscape architect and the most important folder is missing.

Murphy's Law or something else?

What should I do?
    Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by bugamati View Post
    Everything went ok, except ALL (!!!) plant images are missing.
    If you just bought it, you're probably using 2012?

There was a prior thread that I can't find at the moment that suggested for the newer versions if you didn't download everything when you initially launched the program, you can always select the Library menu and click on Install Core Content to restart the download of stuff you didn't finish downloading, like the Plants.

It sounds like Plants is the largest folder you have to download, so it takes longer than the others and that could also be why it would be the only one to have a problem.
    Last edited by Katalyst777; 10-08-2012 at 11:38 AM.
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    Home Designer Architectural 10
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

Sure, I did it.

Good morning! I have tried no fewer than 20 times to download the core content. I have rebooted the computer between some of the tries, reset the cable modem and the router, all to no avail. It gets to "plants" and I eventually get the message that it did not work. I am on a fast cable modem connection, not dial up or dsl. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you in advance for any help.

I have now hit the retry button several times over the course of an hour and it finally says completed with errors. When I look in the preview window many plants are missing.

It sits for several minutes saying 100% but it still says Downloading HDCorePlantFiles.zip and the green bar is full to the right.

I have not been able to find a way to delete the existing library to start from scratch. When I try to drag the folder to the trash it copies it in the trash.

Home Designer 2012
    Last edited by MKB; 10-08-2012 at 08:27 AM.

Core Content download

Quote Originally Posted by rshaw View Post
    I just updated from Architectural 10 to Pro 2012 and I can't get the library to download.

I have tried multiple times to do the download, but I keep getting an error.

Is there anyway to save some of the catalog at a time?

It would be nice to have some of the catalog to use while I try to download the rest.

Have you found the answer to the core content problem? I am unable to get mine to complete the library with all contents. Home Designer Essentials 2012

If houska's solution posted earlier in this thread doesn't work for you, you should probably contact the company's Support folks directly for help.

http://support.homedesignersoftware.com/

It doesn't seem to be a very common problem, but it would be nice if you could post an update back up on this thread with their solution because it might help others in the future.
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    Home Designer Architectural 10
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

Quote Originally Posted by Katalyst777 View Post
    If houska's solution posted earlier in this thread doesn't work for you, you should probably contact the company's Support folks directly for help.

http://support.homedesignersoftware.com/

It doesn't seem to be a very common problem, but it would be nice if you could post an update back up on this thread with their solution because it might help others in the future.
    Thank you for the info Katalyst777. I am on a very high speed connection so I did not even attempt to alter other settings yet. Also, I have not been able to delete the "partial" download to start from scratch. I will contact the support people to see what I can learn and post an update.

Big news on the download front!!! I was able to use the tools in Norton and make the proper adjustments so that it now works to use the "automagic" (thier word not mine) update without a problem. It is a simple adjustment inside the settings of Norton.

Hello MKB,
    I also have Norton and had the same problem you had with the core download. I have Suite 2012. Please let me know what "proper adjustments" were that you made to Norton to allow the download. Thanks very much!

Good morning Ruth,
    I went it to the settings of Norton that allow you to turn off the scan for certain programs. I have not messed with it since then, and don't recall the exact steps, but there are settings that let you selectively choose file paths to ignore.

I did this first (see Method 1);
    then I did close down my Antivirus program and Windows Firewall. After taht there was no problem at all to download Core content (it did install correctly as well)
    It might work even if you just close Anti virus and firewll. (Sorry my bad english (I'm Swedish) ;o) /Ismo

Method 1:
    How to Disable Autotuning in Windows 7

Disabling autotuning will help much on DNS lookup and network discovery. It improves the data transfer speed also over the network. Disabling autotuning in windows 7 is very similar to Windows vista method.

Start command prompt as administrator.

Type in the below command
    Netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

This will disable the autotuning function in vista TCP/IP networking, which will help you to solve most of the problems.

To see the result of the command, you can type,

Netsh interface tcp show global

Now type - Netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled

By using above two commands ( autotuning and rss), you can solve some of the network issues in Windows 7

To make these two settings again to the default setting, you can use following commands,

Netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=normal
    Netsh interface tcp set global rss=enabled

Same issue here - Running Home Designer Interiors 2014 on a Windows 8 machine (64bit). Have changed TCP/IP settings, disabled firewall, disabled virus protection, run the app as Administrator and also did a compatibility check (now running in XP compatibility mode). No success :-( . Download stops at 32% completion and then I get an error message that the download failed. Internet is up the whole time. Any ideas anyone??

Thank you,

Filip