Västerås, Sweden and Kangaroo Valley Australia

Walls disappear when roofs are added

Working in Home Designer Pro 12

I am experiencing problems with walls that "disappear" when the roofs are added. The designed building is oblong, divided into three (almost equal) sections, each section is covered by a shed roof. The two outer sections have a high shed wall on - (for simplicity say) - on the right-hand long side face right) and the centre sections roof has the high shed roof on the left-hand long side faces left i.e. the roofs "cross one another on the two inner dividing walls. The roof pitch has been set at 15 degrees. All other walls except these two centre dividing walls display correctly in the overview but certain sections of these walls have disappeared.

On the accompanying illustrations I have shown the section divisions where the roofs change direction with a red line and circled the "missing" walls in red. The walls disappear as soon as I add the roofs. I have never had this problem before and have checked the lines of the roofs and walls and all are precisely the same (straight) and the roof planes do not go "into" the supporting walls. I am obviously doing something wrong - can anyone give me some tips to stop this from happening? Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	problem.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	12608   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Base plan 3 sheds.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	12607   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3 sheds right.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	12606   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3 sheds left.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	12605  

There are two perhaps three possible conditions:

1. By default, roof planes will cut off walls, either partially or fully depending on how much the roof planes either cover or intrude slightly into the "space" or volume of a an adjacent wall, that is part of wall's basic programming and you can depend upon that reactive behavior between walls and roof planes and roof plane edges.
    This might be what you are seeing or at least a part of the problem.

2. Attic walls are commonly "automatically" generated by the software but sometimes due to the design, the software goofs and you then have to fill in for its attic-wall short-falls. Where walls are missing you draw them in manually.

So, if the walls that are missing are "there" in plan view but not showing in camera views it is probably Number One above, I suppose that attic walls could be "there" but turned off in your camera view Display Options but I seen to remember that some attic walls were present and only a couple were missing.

DJP

This looks like it could be either or both of combination of DJP’s possible conditions. In the areas you have circled red they are over a section of wall that, I would assume, already have attic walls generated for the lower of the roof planes.

I would have to see a cross section.

I would take a cross section view of the problem area and if there is a wall generated already on that floor, I would click on that wall and stretch it up to fit. If the roof plan cuts it you will need to modify the roof plane to go around the wall.

Review this article for techniques on modifying walls
    http://www.chiefarchitect.com/suppor...faqNumber=1809

and this video for modifying roof planes in Pro
    http://video.homedesigner.chiefarchi...ideo/play/2238

the part that pertains to your situation is in the last minute of the video.
    Lamina
    Pro 2014
    Pro 2012
    Architectural 9