Threaded View

It was MY mistake to begin with the assumption that the roof in question was in fact a "dormer".

With that said, and with the assistance of Kat and the online videos, the method I took to make the structure was to begin with the one and one half story idea--proceeding as though I was going to make a dormer. This step was crucial to bring the edge of the roof down lower than it otherwise would be on a two story structure. The trick, if one can call it that, is to then temporarily turn off the auto roof feature (as is usual for a dormer), and then make the knee walls and attic spaces revert back to normal or undefined. This restores the two-story structure (which the real one is most definitely). A combination of 2nd floor room heights (ceiling etc) as well as "floor below" adjustments was good enough to make it look right--even with automatic roofs back on. (Oh, I forgot to add that I used the "gable over window" tool to make the "dormer"...but getting the roof line lower was essential beforehand.)

All in all, this has been a good learning experience for me. As opposed to a mere drawing program, I think the if one can get all of the 3d views for the interiors and exteriors looking correct... then the drawing begins to become a plan. This is really the key, as I'm sure experienced users no doubt have already discovered.

John
    P.S. Attached is what I have so far, more work needs to be done...but the right track is at hand.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp2.JPG 
Views:	217 
Size:	186.6 KB 
ID:	12609  
    Beginner
    Home Designer Architect 2012