drawing a 45 degree framing member

i need to draw some 45 degree angled braces from posts to ceiling beams.(interior timber framing detail) ive done this before but cant remember how!!!refresh me please ! thanks folks!
    Home Designer Pro 8.0

3-D wise your first choice would be a sloped soffit (create and shape the soffit and then slope it to suit via its dialog box, then copy-paste as required). In terms of 2-D in plan or cross sections then CAD lines and polyline objects are easier to deal with but don't serve as 3-D of course.

DJP

Yup ... a sloped soffit works, but the down-side to them is that they have vertical cut ends. Should you need a horizontal cut end such as for an angle brace between two perpendicular members, then you'll need to place an additional inverted wedge that is sized appropriately on the soffit's end ... or bury the soffit within one of the adjoining members provided that it is thick enough to absorb that detail from sight.

Good luck.

p.s., sloped soffits can be a bear to get fit properly, so I like to use CAD lines in a 2D back-clipped section view to help layout and measure to get the right dimensions plugged in for the front and back heights.
    Last edited by Elovia; 08-23-2012 at 05:07 PM.
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10