Thread: Barrel Roof?

Question Barrel Roof?

I know you can set a dormer to have a barrel roof, but I want to put a barrel roof on the house or a bullnose on the porch... Anyone know how to do this or have any ideas???

Thanks in advance!
    -Jim

Home Designer Suite 8.0

I'm reasonably certain that a barrel roof, as the main roof, is not an option in Pro, but is in Chief Architect.

Having said that, I wonder whether or not a creative mind could craft a workaround...

Article Number 1187: Building a Barrel (Curved) Roof in Home Designer Pro -
    http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/...faqNumber=1187
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

Only in chief architect version you can specify curved roof planes.

If you download the free trial version of Chief Architect, you can at least see how this works in that version by following the instructions in some of the Chief Architect online Help Database articles.

Article Number 650: How do I create a barrel, or curved ceiling?

Article Number 649: How do I create a curved, or barrel, roof?

Article Number 688: How do I join curved roof planes?

Article Number 684: How do I join a barrel roof to a flat roof plane?
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    Home Designer Architectural 10
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

Thanks for the examples. That doesn't look too awfully hard. Hopefully it will be easier than coming up with the $$ to upgrade to CA
    Vikki
    HD Pro 9.0

French style barrel roof shaped gables over windows?

How can I make these barrel roof styled window gables in the picture? I tried to create a barrel dormer and place the window surface flush with the exterior wall, but when I generate the roof the overhang obstructs the window surface. Any ideas? Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2319214880_62fa4df2af_o1_thumb1.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	12691  

skimdv,

The answer to your question undoubtedly depends on which Home Designer software title and version that you're using. Which do you have?

If you have Pro, then you can customize the window to assign an arch along the top, and with careful input of parameters, you should be able to match the arch of a barrel roof dormer.
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

Elovia:

I have Home Designer Architectural 2012. Will this version support the barrel dormer breaking the eaves? Thanks!

You will need to study/read/practice the manual sections/Users Guide on dormers, perhaps watch the videos about placing dormers and the two different types, more practice selecting/placing them and then you should be set to go, some things require more than just finding out where to click.

DJP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barrel.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	12692  

A dormer could be created as David described. However, this will give a crossing section of roof from the parent roof plane below the dormer, and this may be undesirable if the goal is to replicate the windows and dormers in the provided image.

Just so we're on the same page, this is my understanding of what skimdv hopes to achieve in AHD.

1) The dormer wall should extend above and be flush with a low 2nd-floor wall without being bisected by a roof plane.
    2) The roof above the extended wall should have a barrel roof.
    3) An arched window should be placed in the extended wall.

I've created a similar detail in Pro and met with moderate, if imperfect, success. I'm not saying it cannot be done in AHD, but it may take patience, study, and perhaps a bit of compromise coupled with imagination to come "close enough". Pro has more roof tools than AHD and thus provides a better opportunity to replicate the design in the image. I do not have AHD and so cannot formulate sufficient workarounds to achieve the desired design given AHD's limited tools compared to Pro. I am only aware that AHD does not have the roof plane editing tools needed for all of the various ways I would approach the problem in Pro ... at some point, as far as I know, I would need to edit one or more roof planes.

Just thinking out loud, I would either apply a barrel roof floating dormer in Pro and then edit the offending main roof plane (and explode the dormer to eliminate unwanted pieces) ... or, manually build the dormer as a defined room with normal ceiling height (i.e., the main floor having been created with a lower than normal ceiling height) and then manually build the barrel roof from multiple manual roof planes similar to this help database article: http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/...faqNumber=1187

Sorry if this isn't much help.
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10