Existing condition drawings for remodeling projects

Is my understanding correct that existing conditions drawings would be done as a layer, changes for remodeling as a different layer, demolition as another layer. I guess I could also save the existing conditions as one project and the remodeling as a second project, either a modified set or a partial plan. Also that Home Designer has no mechanism for a materials list for just the remodeling layer. I would rather try Home Designer before committing to Chief Architect which appears to have better tools for this sort of work in addition to better detailing tools. Seems as though this would be a common problem but search didn't produce many relevant topics and it's not covered at all in the manuals that I could see.
    Last edited by oddlyenough; 11-12-2012 at 02:53 PM. Reason: added word

No, actually that works in natively 2-D CAD applications which Chief Inc Software is natively 3-D. What you do (what I do) is to create a relationally correct "as-built" model then save-as a copy to apply any remodeling and additions to.
    Just as in the "Real Universe" two "solid" objects cannot occupy the same space, this is true in virtual space as well for the most part. You cannot apply 2-D procedures to a natively 3-D application.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook